Casa Nueva plans themed trivia nights

Casa Nueva, home to concerts, dance nights and locavore-friendly Mexican cuisine, will now add trivia nights to their list of events.

Former Casa employee Marcus Carney first brought up the idea for a trivia night last year, said Alicia Cordell, the human resources coordinator for Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St.

“He proposed the idea to the event coordinator and put it all together,” Cordell said. “He’s going to be the host of the event.”

Carney, a senior studying finance, lived in Alaska for eight years, and he often attended a trivia night at a local bar.

“When I travel, I scout out similar events, and it always bummed me out that Athens didn’t have something like it,” Carney said. “With the eclectic and intelligent community that’s here, I feel like it’s something people would enjoy.”

Teams of four are invited to participate in the event. The night will consist of five rounds with 10 questions for each.

The teams are kept small to keep the aisles clear and to maintain fairly even teams, Carney said.

Casa employees are also allowed to participate because answers to the questions are only known by Carney and his two assistants, Meredith Jensen, the communications manager for the Athens County Visitors Bureau, and Debra Thompson, a political science professor.

Each round has a set topic, including general knowledge, music recognition, a themed round and a photo round. The final round will have general knowledge questions as well.

The nights will have a theme each week such as classical music or “what came first”, Carney said.

ao007510@ohiou.edu