Athens City Council distributes funds, introduces construction plan

Members of the Athens City Council heard 13 ordinances and two resolutions at Monday’s meeting, ranging from refurbishing a wastewater treatment plant to inter-fund transfers.

An ordinance authorizing an inter-fund transfer of approximately $1.17 million was heard by those in attendance.

The funds will be split into six unequal parts.

$3,000 is going to the General Fund to cover increased jail costs, $478,539 is going to the Community Development Block Grant fund, $172,085.96 is going to the Water Debt Fund for final payment to a contractor, $36,050 is going to the Tax Incremental Fund to cover school share and Auditor’s fees, and an additional $250,000 is also going to the TIF for transfer to the East State Debt Fund.

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, introduced a one-reading resolution for the tentative award of a construction contract for the Wastewater Treatment Plant on E. State Street.

Proposed construction of the plant will raise the height and alter the shape of the plant’s clarifiers. In addition, ultraviolet light will be included for purification instead of chlorine.

“My understanding is that the clarifiers are rectangular and so material sometimes gets stuck in the corners,” Butler said, adding that the new clarifiers will be round.

There is research that indicates that ultraviolet light is more environmentally friendly than chlorine, Butler said.

The council’s support of the construction contract is contingent upon the City of Athens receiving funding from the Ohio Water Development Authority’s Water Pollution Control Loan Fund, which is expected to be awarded to the city on March 28.

kh547011@ohiou.edu