Former councilman joins race for at-large seat

A former city councilman and businessman is making his second run for a seat on Athens City Council.

Michael McSteen, owner of Athens Media Pros, served as the 1st Ward representative from 1999-2001 and did not seek a second term.

McSteen joined a long list of potential candidates for an at-large seat on Council. Other candidates include Jennifer Cochran, a longtime massage therapist, Ron Luce, executive director of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum, and Michael Bart, manager of Avalanche Pizza and a local DJ.

Soon after being elected, McSteen realized how time-consuming it was to serve on Council while also working full-time and raising two children under the age of three.

“It was a burden on (my wife) to have to take care of everything and I was missing out on my kids’ early years,” he said. “I decided not to run for re-election and instead focused on raising a family.”

However, McSteen said, he always thought he would re-enter city politics.

“I truly enjoyed my time on council and I learned a great deal about how the city is managed and how the budget is developed,” McSteen said.

When Councilman Elahu Gosney, D-at large, decided not to run for re-election this year, McSteen saw the opportunity to run at the citywide level.

“It sparked my interest,” he said. “I like my current 1st Ward representative, Kent Butler, and I didn’t want to run against him.”

Gosney announced he would not be running for re-election in January and is excited to see multiple people interested in running for Council.

“What I aimed to do during my time on Council was help city government become more progressive and better represent the people of Athens,” Gosney said. “I think that has happened, and whoever is on Council, I hope, will continue to move the city forward in that way.”

McSteen said he wants to work specifically with the city administration to develop more effective public and private relationships.

“I am passionate about the city and how we represent it to visitors and to our citizens,” he said.

kh547011@ohiou.edu