Council session drives edict on city affairs

Members of the Athens City Council met for a special session of ordinances and committee meetings last night.

CELL PHONE

Concern for part of an ordinance that would allow for the allocation of funds for new law enforcement software was brought forward again during last night’s meeting.

The new software would be able to extract previously deleted data from cell phones. Though this software is available in other locations, in order for the police to utilize it, the cell phone must be sent away and data is not returned for about three weeks.

Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said he is very weary about the new software.

“We have to safeguard our citizens’ rights and civil liberties,” Risner said.

A warrant is required when confiscating a cell phone, but Risner had many concerns about the protocol that law enforcement agencies would follow, including where the data would be stored and how long it would be accessible

PRODUCTION WELL

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, introduced a mandate to authorize the design of a new production well in the Armitage Field by the O’Bleness Memorial Hospital bike trail.

Some of the current wells started failing – screens that filter water are clogging and other parts of the wells are corroding, he said. Production wells are vital because they supply water to the city.

The estimated cost of the project is about $150,000 total, Butler said. $32,000 of the cost will be used to begin the process of planning, designing and obtaining permits.

“Production capability has been diminishing,” Butler said. “(A new well) could alleviate the burden.”

PARKING GARAGE

The City Administration is requesting funds for an engineering study that could cost between $40,000 to $50,000, Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-at large, said.

A piece of concrete fell from the parking garage on Washington Street last week, Mayor Paul Wiehl said. He and a few others went around the building looking for more loose pieces.

A similar study occurred about seven years ago, and some major repairs were completed, Knisely said.

“(The parking garage) is due for a good check up, like anything we have to maintain,” Wiehl said.

He added that there is money in reserve to pay for this sort of project, though there won’t be an estimated repair cost until after the engineering study is completed.

GATOR GUYS BALCONY

A canon permitting a revocable license for a balcony at 63 N. Court St. was not passed, after Athens resident Beverly Flanigan expressed her concern about the balcony’s size.

Flanigan referred to part of the City Zoning Code dealing with general regulations and permitted modifications.

“If I am reading the Code correctly, 36 inches and no more are allowed,” she said of the proposed balcony. A revocable license can, however, override the code.

UNIVERSITY ESTATES

City Council is looking to own University Estates Boulevard.

When the road was built, it didn’t meet city regulations and was therefore annexed, Wiehl said. As a result, it has not been maintained.

“Once (the road) is brought up to our standards (and we accept it), it becomes like any other road we’re trying to fix,” Wiehl said.

Ownership of the road would allow the city to put money into this project.

“I support the spirit, intent and effort to fix the roads for safety, wellness and quality of life,” Butler said. “Ultimately the citizens and the city benefit from the improvement. It’s difficult and challenging but I think we can do this.”

kh547011@ohiou.edu

ck813711@ohiou.edu