Council to consider opposing HB 5, demolition of Ridges

While Ohio University students are relaxing during spring break, members of the Athens City Council were kept busy at Monday night’s meeting with topics ranging from opposing the passage of House Bill 5 to OU’s demolition plans for the Ridges.

House Bill 5, which proposes certain tax rules for cities across the state, would have detrimental effects to the city of Athens, Councilwoman Christine Knisely, D-at large, said.

In addition to losing approximately $1 million in local government funds, estate taxes and tangible personal property tax, accepting HB 5 would mean an additional loss of approximately $200,000.

These numbers come from just the city of Athens.

“With funds and budgets as tight as they are, I think it’s worthwhile to support this resolution to oppose House bill 5 to prevent further loss of municipal funds,” Knisely said.

Councilman Jeffrey Risner, D-2nd Ward, also thinks that supporting this ordinance will be good for the city.

“This seems to be another state government power grab to take more power away from the local communities and consolidate it at the state level,” Risner said. “I completely support this resolution. I will vote affirmative for it.”

The city is losing its right of taxation, Risner added.

“Once we’ve lost it, it’s lost,” he said.

In addition to potentially losing funds through HB 5, the city of Athens could be losing a historical structure now owned by Ohio University.

Though members of the university have been discussing the demolition of certain buildings of the Ridges for several months, Council members have been kept in the dark.

The issue of demolition came up at the meeting. Several Athens residents have written letters expressing a multitude of concerns, some of which are shared among Council members.

“I think many of us value historical preservation,” Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said. “There are a lot of other buildings besides this one (the former TB ward) being slated for potential for demise.”

There aren’t many structures like the Ridges, Mayor Paul Wiehl said, therefore the area could be a potential tourist destination.

When the Ridges were turned over to OU from the state of Ohio, an advisory committee of involved community members was formed. It has since been disbanded.

The group made some type of a recommendation, though Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward said she is unsure whether the current city council or mayor knows what the final plan was.

“I don’t know how much we’ve really been apprised of what’s going on,” she said. “The bottom line is when you look back at the intent, the spirit of this law, they were encouraging community support.”

kh547011@ohiou.edu