Cary R. Cooper on Board of Trustees meeting on March 13, 2014 in Walter Hall Government room.

Board ready to move forward with Ohio Guarantee

After a day of debate and discussion, Ohio University Board of Trustees are prepared to move forward with the Ohio Guarantee fixed tuition plan and other university policies.

Student protesters who have rallied this semester against raising tuition at Ohio University didn't protest inside the Board of Trustees meeting Thursday, but their concerns were clearly heard by trustees and OU officials.

Several times during the trustees' first day of committee meetings — ahead of a vote to approve a 5.1 percent tuition hike for next year's incoming class — administrators made a point to mention their sensitivities to rising costs of higher education.

“From an affordability standpoint, the Board has looked for ways to mitigate (rising costs) and to make it possible,” Trustee Chair David Brightbill said.

Joint Academics/ Resources

OU officials, including Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit and Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding, made presentations during the Joint Academics/Resources Committee meeting — the first of the Board’s sessions this week.

The meeting included budget-related topics such as the fixed-tuition plan dubbed the “OHIO Guarantee” and a new scholarship program.

Resources

The fixed-tuition plan, which Golding said is designed to help students plan for the cost of college, was further discussed during the Resources Committee portion of the meeting.

“It’s not perfect, I’ll be the first to admit that,” he said.

Trustees will vote Friday on the 5.1 percent tuition increase, which will affect next year’s incoming freshmen class — not current OU students.

The committee also expressed satisfaction regarding the Century Bond, a $250 million bond sold by the university Nov. 6 to 22 investors.

The university will save an estimated•$275,000 a year with the rate it locked in for the bond, according to Beth Greene, OU’s debt director.

The committee also discussed the various construction and renovation projects.

They include a new gas pipeline and renovations to the •Lausche Heating Plant. These renovations are necessary to achieve OU’s goal of being carbon neutral by •2075.

Other projects discussed include plans to demolish the •President's Street Academic Center on the corner of •South Congress and •President Streets.

Plant growth, mold and asbestos found in the building will make it cheaper to demolish than to renovate, according to officials.

Pending approval, demolition will begin after commencement ceremonies in May.

Academics

The Academics Committee also reviewed revisions to the Student Code of Conduct.

Students cited for a code offense such as covering a smoke alarm or underage possession of alcohol might have a new tool to figure out what their penalty could be — if the board approves the resolution.

One of those tools is a “decision-tree” through which the Office of Community of Standards and Student Responsibility will help students figure out if they are at risk for suspension.

For example, distribution of alcohol will be considered more egregious than just sharing it with friends, Martha Compton, director of Community Standards, said.

Students are not suspended for code B offenses such as disturbing the peace or possession of marijuana, but they can be suspended for a code A offense, such as academic misconduct or destruction of property.

OU has been seeing fewer class A offenses in recent years, Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said.

“We've seen a lot of the higher risk violations go down,” she said. “We're not exactly sure why that's happening, but we hope that continues.”  

Governance

The Governance Committee discussed plans to reach out to student trustee alumni and further their involvement at OU.

“This is an exciting new initiative,” said Trustee Dave Scholl. “A lot of folks thought it would be important to try to reach back to the past student trustees.”

An event to bring back student trustee alumni will take place in March.

“My main goal during my position here has been to have more of a (student trustee) presence on campus,” said Keith Wilbur, the second-year student trustee on the board.

Audit

OU’s fiscal year 2015 audits received positive reviews from OU President Roderick McDavis and the Board of Trustees.

“The audit plan is going as expected,” CPA and Chief Audit Executive Jeff Davis said. “We’re in pretty good shape.”

Representatives from Baker Tilly, a public accounting and consulting firm, also reported the university needs to perform fieldwork and issue a report for the Walter Fieldhouse.

The university also needs to schedule a second Phase I Housing Development interim audit.

The Board will cast a final vote Friday on resolutions discussed at Thursday’s meeting.

— Post reporters and editors Alex Meyer, Dina Berliner, Seth Archer, Luke Furman, Lacy Purdum, Megan Henry, Taylor Maple, Kaitlin Coward, Maygan Beeler and Lucas Daprile contributed to this report