$1 million settlement between OU and father approved following wrongful death lawsuit

A $1 million settlement between OU and the father of a student who died of meningitis in 2010 was approved last week in the Ohio Court of Claims

An Ohio Court of Claims judge approved a $1 million settlement between Ohio University and a parent last Thursday following a wrongful death lawsuit filed after a student died from bacterial meningitis in 2010.

Joseph Robinson, father of Andrea Robinson, who died from bacterial meningitis in February 2010, sued the Hudson Health Center, President Roderick McDavis, Office of Legal Affairs General Counsel John Biancamano and unknown individuals, according to a previous Post report.

The lawsuit asserted the university failed to adequately warn students there was a strain of bacterial meningitis on campus that lacked a vaccine, and Hudson Health Center provided Robinson inadequate advice via a phone conversation, which indirectly resulted in her death. 

Robinson called Hudson Health Center and informed them of her symptoms after her temperature reached 103.8, according to court documents, and was told to take Tylenol, drink water and get rest.

Judge Patrick M. McGrath approved the settlement agreement Feb. 5, previously reached by Robinson and university officials in November 2014. The distribution of the settlement was approved in Cuyahoga County Probate Court in January.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="375b1478-aafa-11e4-9707-bb93561396b0"}}

“Ohio University is pleased that the parties have been able to amicably settle the litigation,” said Katharine Quaranta, an OU spokeswoman, in an email. “The university does not admit liability in the settlement agreement.”

OU will be responsible for paying an estimated $100,000 of the settlement, according to a previous Post report.

Robinson will receive $585,341, while his attorney, Laura Mills, will receive $400,000 for attorney fees and services and $14,657 for the reimbursement of case expenses.

@eockerman

eo300813@ohio.edu