Despite weather, Bobcats go nearly naked to raise around $1,500

Though rescheduled, Bare on the Bricks' after-party raised $1,500 and gathered 20 bags of clothes for local charity, My Sister’s Place.

After postponing Bare on the Bricks due to weather conditions, snow and sleet did not stop participants who registered from going out to Pigskin Bar and Grille to enjoy the #NearlyNaked party while donating to charity.

Event sponsors Ohio University Student Alumni Board and Phi Kappa Psi decided Friday to postpone the event because of the predicted weather forecast for Saturday.

“We didn’t want to put 300 students in jeopardy,” said Kendra Lutes, vice president of philanthropy for the Student Alumni Board.

The sixth annual Bare on the Bricks run will be re-scheduled in April.

Lutes said in an email that was sent out to participants, “The freezing rain would result in far too many injuries.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1b5460f2-b934-11e4-ab80-471046ca3913"}}

Lutes estimated the event raised $1,500 and 20 bags of clothes for My Sister’s Place, a domestic violence agency that serves Athens and nearby counties. It provides a 24/7 hotline, outreach counseling and a court advocate.

Usually, participants would meet at Baker University Center and take of their clothes down to underwear before the race started. Those working the race would pick up the discarded clothes and donate them. But Saturday, participants just dropped off their donated clothes at The Pigskin.

An after party at Pigskin Bar and Grille, 38 N. Court St. was originally scheduled following Bare on the Bricks and the party went on with the name #NearlyNaked which included Black Rabbit as the DJ, and food and drinks catered by Pigskin.

“I think people enjoyed it given the circumstances of having to cancel the run part and then have everybody come so I think people had a lot of fun,” Lutes said.

She also heard comments from people saying that were looking forward to the re-scheduled run.

Braxton Stricker, co-philanthropy chair for Phi Kappa Psi also agrees that the right decision was made to post-pone Bare on the Bricks.

Attendance was “better than I expected” as Stricker was unsure with the weather how many participants would come out to Pigskin. About 150 students were at Saturday’s event. About 210 people signed up to run going into Thursday, according to a previous Post article.

Zack Patrick, a junior studying MIS and a member of Phi Kappa Psi said it was unfortunate they had to postpone Bare on the Bricks.

“I look forward to it every year,” Patrick said. “It’s a good cause…. and it’s a good way to bond with your brothers.”

Tyler Rohrer, a senior studying management and a member of Phi Kappa Psi, “always” has a good time at Bare on Bricks.

“How often do you get to go a bar in your underwear and not get kicked out?” Rohrer asked.