A sample of a can of Sech's outside Baker University Center on March 26. Sech's is scheduled to be sold at local stores starting sometime this summer. 

Student entrepreneurs cut to the chase by offering Sech’s

Shea Wilson and Mason Estep, two OU students, want to introduce others to Sech’s.

Mason Estep and Shea Wilson think they know what college students want: Sech’s.

Two Ohio University students created Sech’s, a soon-to-be-released alcoholic beverage, for a college-aged audience.

Wilson, a senior who created his own major through OU’s specialized studies program and president of Sech’s, said he and his partner, Estep, used funds from previous consulting jobs to create the beverage.

The duo decided to name that beverage Sech’s, a moniker they believe can be easily sold to a collegiate crowd.

“I can see this being the next Four Loko,” Wilson said.

Estep, an OU junior who is also on the specialized studies track and vice president of the business, said they also decided to make a drink that was affordable, but tasted good.

“We want it to be (sold at) an affordable price and have a very good taste,” Wilson said. “That’s what we’re going for with this product.”

Sech’s, a berry-flavored 16.9 fl. oz. malt beverage, contains 6 percent alcohol.

It will be sold in a six-pack for $7.50, Estep said.

“This (drink) tastes like something in between a Shirley Temple and a Strawberry Daiquiri, which people love,” Estep said. “We’re bringing it in a can.”

Sech’s will be sold in local stores during the summer.

Sech’s was federally approved through the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau and is in the final stages of gaining approval from the Ohio Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control.

Sech’s will be available in: Mike’s Dog Shack, And Beer, the BP on Court Street and Stimson Avenue, Busy Day Market and the Stop-N-Cop Drive Thru, according to the founders’ website.

Wilson added there will also be a crowd-funding campaign for people who are interested in ordering the beverage prior to the launch.

Estep said he and Wilson have invested “thousands and thousands of dollars” into the business.

And Beer owner Quinn Schaller said it was great that students were able to create their own beverage brand, acknowledging the process was no easy task.

Schaller added Sech’s’ price tag is on par with other beverages in the same category. 

“Several members of my staff sampled it and were pleased with it,” he said. “I think students will get behind a local product and it has a good chance for success.”

And Beer, located at 10 S. Court St., sells more than 200 craft beers, Schaller said. Customers can either make their own six packs or buy a standard pack with average prices ranging from $9 to $12, according to a previous Post article.

“The cool thing about us: we’re students,” Estep said. “We don’t have this big board of executives in California looking at demographic analysis. We know what our people want because we are our people. We saw an opportunity in the alcohol beverage industry so we’re going to change that world.”

Estep and Wilson’s venture has also gained acknowledgement from OU faculty. Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi said he has “consistently been impressed” with Estep and Wilson’s entrepreneurial efforts. Lombardi added he always tries to support the innovative ideas students bring forth.

“They are very driven young men, and I know they will find success if they stay focused and creative in their goals,” he said. “Entrepreneurship and innovation are keys to our society continuing to move forward, and we always try to support Ohio University students in these efforts.”

@JoshuaLim93

jl951613@ohio.edu