Jessica Lindner, a member of Student Senate, speaks to the senate body about the push for unionizing resident assistants. 

Student Senate condemns possible purchase of new home for president

Ohio University Student Senate approved a resolution to condemn the possible purchase of a new home for President McDavis.

The same day that Ohio University faculty members came out against the university’s decision to lease a new presidential residence, members of Student Senate passed a resolution condemning the possible purchase of the McDavis’ new home.

After a bat infestation forced OU President Roderick McDavis and Deborah McDavis to relocate to a new home, the university agreed to pay a monthly lease on 31 Coventry Lane.

According to the resolution proposed at Wednesday’s meeting, the lease is “a gross abuse of power on the part of the Board of Trustees and administration.”

To voice their opposition, members of the OU Student Union will host a rally March 31 at 5 p.m. on the lawn of 29 Park Place, the president’s former residence.

“We noticed that there was widespread disapproval of the possibility of allocating $1.2 million to give McDavis a different home,” said Ryan Powers, an East Green senator. “We expect this rally to result in a policy change in our favor.”

During the body’s debate of this resolution, concern was raised about the current state of some OU buildings.

“We have buildings that flood, we have buildings with asbestos, we have buildings that the windows don’t open or the heat doesn’t turn on,” said Jolana Watson, academic affairs commissioner. “It shows the rest of the campus that they don’t value our housing, they don’t value our environment that we have to live and work in.”

Senate Treasurer Zainab Kandeh cautioned the body against “hyperbolizing things that happen in residence halls and things that happen in other university buildings.” She added that bats are not a common problem in the residence halls, and that maintenance requests can solve most minor issues.

Also at Wednesday’s meeting, senate approved a resolution to open voting at general body meetings to all OU students.

Criteria to vote include being a student enrolled at OU, attending two consecutive general body meetings and maintaining attendance throughout the semester.

“This is what we’ve been working toward all year,” said Megan Marzec, senate president.

The resolution will not go into effect until Fall 2015, given the incoming administration supports it.

Of the 38 voting members present, 26 voted in favor of the resolution, 11 opposed and 1 abstained.

Resolutions at senate meetings typically pass with few individuals opposed.

In addition, senate passed resolutions to promote the environmental committee to an official senate commission, meaning it will now have voting privileges.

A resolution to support moving OU’s carbon neutrality deadline from 2075 to Dec. 31, 2030 was also passed.

The carbon neutrality deadline of 2075, set by the university’s current Climate Action Plan and approved by McDavis in 2013, will be “too late” to make an impact, according to the resolution.

“We can’t kick the can down the road any longer,” said Caitlyn McDaniel, senate vice president.

mb076912@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler