An Ohio University Police car parked outside of Scott Quadrangle. 

Woman reports being hit in face by boyfriend’s grandmother

A female was reportedly struck in the face by her boyfriend’s grandmother

The image of a vibrant Athens typically dwindles when students leave for spring break. 

But the lack of students didn’t mean local police could relax; criminal activity still continued to tick.

The Ohio University Police Department received a report March 2 from an OU Office of Information Technology employee regarding a stolen 20-inch Dell computer monitor. The monitor was allegedly removed from room 009 of Bentley Hall sometime between Feb. 27 and March 2. 

No other items were found to be missing, according to the report.

Friday, OUPD received a report regarding a theft of textbooks that had been delivered to Pickering Hall on South Green. That case is under investigation, according to the report.

Athens Police officers responded to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital’s emergency room on Feb. 28 in reference to a call regarding domestic violence. Security advised an APD officer that a female came into the ER and reported that her boyfriend had hit her, according to the report.

In relation to that report, a 30-year-old Gallipolis man was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and appeared in Athens Municipal Court on March 2.

On Sunday, an OU student was arrested after he tried to flee from APD officers while driving. An officer observed the student’s vehicle traveling south on Court Street early that morning and attempted to stop the vehicle as it turned down West Washington Street.

The pursuit continued through College Street, East Union Street, University Terrace, Stewart Street and even Morton Hill. The driver was eventually stopped in the Peden Stadium lot. The driver was arrested on suspicion of failure to comply with an order or signal of a police officer — a third-degree felony if proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

On the county’s end, a female went to the Athens County Sheriff’s Office on March 1 to report that she was punched in the face by her boyfriend’s grandmother during a dispute at the grandmother’s residence on Stone Road.

The female had a red mark on the right side of her face, according to the report. Police issued a court summons to the grandmother who allegedly struck the female. 

Sheriff deputies were also dispatched to a Dollar General in The Plains, 70 N. Plains Road, on Feb. 27 for a shoplifting complaint. Before deputies arrived, the store informed them that the man in connection with the shoplifting had fled on foot and was running down North Plains Road. The deputies eventually caught the man and found that he had two active warrants from the Athens County Municipal Court.

The man was arrested and transported to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

@JoshuaLim93

jl951613@ohio.edu