Peter Mather, secretary to the Ohio University Board of Trustees, and Sandra Anderson, currently the chair of the board, listen to presentations from various university officials during a previous board meeting in January.

Trustees name new residence halls, acknowledge SCOTUS decision

OU's Board of Trustees passed several resolutions Friday that approved its 2016 fiscal year budget, several construction projects and the names for the new residence halls on South Green.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fc7517ba-1c3b-11e5-b166-cf8f0ed8c7cd"}}

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees named the new residence halls on South Green, discussed the Supreme Court’s decision in favor of same-sex marriage and passed budgetary resolutions at its June meeting Friday morning.

New Residence Halls

The board met at OU’s Southern Campus in Ironton, Ohio, and Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones presented the board with the finalized list of names for the four new residence halls.

The dorms will be named after Arthur D. Carr, Evelyn Coulter Luchs, Claude R. Sowle and Tomoyasu and Sumiko Tanaka.

Carr, an Athenian from birth, was the first black student-athlete at OU and went on to Howard Medical School after graduating from the university in 1905. Luchs, a fellow OU grad, was the university’s first female trustee. Sowle served as OU’s president from 1969 to 1974, and Hall-Jones noted Sowle was known for his transparency while in office.

Tomoyasu Tanaka, a World War II veteran who served in Japan’s navy, enrolled at OU after the war and helped smooth relations between the two countries, Hall-Jones said.

Trustee Janetta King commended Hall-Jones and the board on the “diversity of names” and Sandra J. Anderson, chair of the Board of Trustees, added that the resolution was “all very exciting.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="56cc07e6-1b74-11e5-ac7f-8760b5e2bcd5"}}

Supreme Court Decision

The Board of Trustees also went off-agenda during their meeting Friday after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality.

“Many of us are going to remember sitting here today getting this news,” King said, to much applause.

Anderson said the decision affected her very personally. Anderson and her partner, Lynn, were married in Seattle, Washington in 2014 after 21 years together.

“I have struggled to maintain my composure and to keep my head in the game,” Anderson said. “I can’t wait for this meeting to be over and to get back to Columbus to celebrate with Lynn. So this ring means more today than it did yesterday.”

Resolutions Passed

A series of resolutions were also passed at Friday’s meeting, including the approval of the university’s budget and Capital Improvement Plan for the 2016 Fiscal year. The board also passed all construction projects, which included a $2.2 million roof replacement for Alden Library and a $2 million roof replacement for Clippinger Hall.

Also at the meeting, the board reappointed both OU President McDavis and Board of Trustees Treasurer Stephen Golding for the 2015-16 academic year. During the annual review of the president’s performance, the Board expressed their satisfaction with McDavis.

“In two words – outstanding job,” Anderson said. “(Trustees) were absolutely unanimous that McDavis has done an outstanding job. We feel we’ve been taken to the next level this year...you get an A double plus,”

Anderson cited the president’s “poise” and “energy” in his leadership.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e836bd24-1ada-11e5-9ec8-23bd2212be90"}}

Further discussion about McDavis’ salary will take place by August as the “budget dust” from Ohio’s 2016-17 budget is waiting to settle, Anderson said. The state budget has still not been signed into law by Gov. John Kasich, so OU’s final budget will depend on how much the university receives from the state.

The future of 29 Park Place was briefly mentioned by Anderson at the meeting. She said Golding will prepare a final memorandum on what to do with the property in the “not so distant future.”

McDavis also presented Board of Trustees Secretary Peter Mather with a Certificate of Appreciation, which garnered a standing ovation from attendees.

Mather, who will be leaving his position as secretary by the end of the year and had his last board meeting Friday, will continue serving on OU’s faculty as an associate professor of higher education.

The next Board of Trustees meeting will take place Aug. 27 and 28 at OU’s Dublin Campus.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu