Upperclassmen help new students move into James Hall on Sunday. 

Go Green workers help Ohio University freshmen and parents on move-in week

OU students could work for Bobcat cash or volunteer hours by lending a hand over move-in weekend

After driving nine-and-a-half hours from St. Charles, Illinois to Athens, Amy Peterkes, a mother in her early 50s, thought helping her freshman daughter Anna move into a Washington Hall dorm room would be an all-day affair.

Instead, she said it only took three or four hours. By 1:30 p.m., the family had cleared enough time to stop for lunch Uptown.

For the fifth year in a row, “Go Green” volunteers have helped offer a little order to the chaos of move-in week by helping students and their parents unload their vehicles and move luggage to students’ rooms.

“I have a senior who goes to another school and the move-in process (at OU) is 10 times easier than it is at his school,” Peterkes said. “I think we had the car parked for ten minutes, and we had a carrier on the top and everything, and they unloaded everything into (a bin) and then helped us carry everything up into the room.”

This past year, student enrollment at OU was the •highest it has ever been. But Pete Trentacoste, executive director of Housing and Residence Life, said Go Green volunteers were near peak levels as well.

“Over 1000 students signed up to participate this year, which is similar to our record-breaking number last year,” he said in an email.

In many cases, those workers are incentivized by the $100 worth of Bobcat Cash they can earn if they work two shifts, as well as the free breakfast and lunch provided to the workers.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1fe83840-49fe-11e5-b97d-3f674347b878"}}

That money, which is subject to taxation, comes out of OU’s housing revenue, Trentacoste said.

“Tuition is not utilized for move-in volunteers,” he said.

Not all students are motivated by the financial reward, though. Students also have the option of working for volunteer hours, which amount to four-and-a-half hours per shift.

The university could not offer any data as to how many students chose volunteer hours over cash, but all of the students interviewed by The Post were working for Bobcat Cash.

Camille Deville, a sophomore studying communication sciences and disorders, said she decided to volunteer after being impressed by the workers her freshman year.

“I just thought it would be fun to be one of the first faces the freshmen see when they move in and try to be a positive face for them and make them feel welcome and at home,” Deville said.

That was a greater incentive for her than the Bobcat Cash, she said.

“I don’t need volunteer hours, but even if it wasn’t for Bobcat Cash, I would still do it because I think it’s a fun thing and you get to meet people,” she said.

Alex Desmond, a junior studying music therapy, said he was doing it for the money, but that he also liked helping people.

“It’s been nice,” he said. “You get to meet a lot of people. Most of the families are really grateful that you’re helping them, so it’s been a good time.”

Larissa Riddle, a junior from Coolville studying education, said she enjoyed seeing the freshmen’s excitement as they moved in.

“The coolest part of the of the day has been helping people with cool entryways into their dorms, and I got to walk in and see my old dorm and got to bond over how small the rooms are,” she said.

Peterkes also got to share a few extra moments of bonding time with her daughter before heading off.

“OK, I’m upset. I’m a parent,” she said. “We’re going out to lunch and then I’m sure we’ll have the tears but then after that it’s good.”

@wtperkins

wp198712@gmail.com