Lance Beard of teaches Jesse Kanavel what to look for when buying a pawpaw. According to Beard, pawpaws are only perfectly ripe for about a day, and their short shelf life is why they are not frequently sold in stores. 

Ohio Pawpaw Festival reels in attendees for brews and bands despite cold, rain

The Pawpaw Festival drew diverse crowds for its 17th successful return.

Cold weather and rain did not stop people from trekking out to Lake Snowden to celebrate the pawpaw. 

The Ohio Pawpaw Festival returned for its 17th year and staples like Snowville Creamery’s pawpaw ice cream, 11 different types of pawpaw beer and pawpaw baked goods brought back the loyal fans that return every year.

“I come back every year for the live music, local art and it’s the only time of the year I can eat pawpaws,” Liana Carsner, a senior studying special education and Spanish, said. “My favorite is the pawpaw smoothie.”

Gregg Ashbrook, a senior studying English at Ohio State University, made the trek down from Columbus for his third festival.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="dfdcf230-5a7a-11e5-8971-fbeb83e17422"}}

“I’ve tried four beers so far, and the Thirsty Dog is my favorite,” Ashbrook said.

As for the food stands, vendors sold everything from tamales with pawpaw pico de gallo at Holy Guacamole to paninis with pawpaws placed inside at Phresh Press Paninis.

Pedro Abrev, a junior exchange student from Brazil studying telecommunications engineering, labeled the festival as a “new experience.” He even wanted to “try to smuggle the pawpaw back to Brazil.”

But the food isn’t the only thing people come back for. At this year’s festival, Native American, especially Shawnee, culture drew a huge crowd.

Ten Wolverines, a member of the Shawnee tribe, was back for his fifth year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3f7ba372-5a75-11e5-a3c2-938cec4a46d7"}}

“People from all over the world come. It’s cool,” Ten Wolverines said. “We tell our traditions, share our culture and sell our stuff. I also come back for the beer.”

Entertainment is also a big part of the festival. Bands like MojoFlo, Uptowne Buddha and Carlos Jones and the PLUS band played shows Friday and Saturday night that attracted large crowds.

For the kids and adults alike, John Gradwohl Jr., also known as Professor Phineas Bubblemaker returned for his third year and put on shows for festival goers, including his new “Rock ‘n’ Roll Bubble Show,” which consisted of large bubbles with multiple bubble wands set to music.

“I look forward to this festival every year. It’s one of my favorites.” Gradwohl, a traveling performer that goes all over the Midwest, said. “It brings together so many people, from hippies to the nerdy solar energy people. It’s the perfect mix of music, culture, art and of course, celebrating the pawpaw.”

Sustainability and conservation were also big draws this year. UpGrade Athens County looked to provide Athens residents with renewable resources. There was also a butterfly tent educating attendees on the importance of those pollinators.

Along with all the draws of the festival came vendors that were selling goods that ranged from leaf masks to handmade soaps. Space and Smiles Welch, owners of Space Cadet Soap and local Athens residents, were back for their fifth year selling their handmade soaps.

“We’re in the same spot every year.” Smiles said. “It’s really about the people.”

With food, entertainment and pawpaws, the verdict of many is that what brings them back every year are the people.

“Every year, there’s more added to the festival,” Warren Taylor, co-owner of Snowville Creamery and who was in his 16th year at the festival, said. “But the friendship and family remains. Sometimes, we only get to see them at the festival because of our hectic lives. You make a connection with people and long-term members of the community. You keep coming back.”

@wintuck

hw333514@ohio.edu