Post Haste

Post Haste: Today is 'Back to the Future' Day; Most of the Athens parking garage is closed

Today is the day Marty McFly went to the future.

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2015:

After years of the Internet lying to you, today is finally here: Oct. 21, 2015, known commonly as the day Marty McFly goes to the future in 1989’s Back to the Future II.

There are plenty of ways to properly mark the momentous occasion, especially with Halloween less than a couple weeks away. Root for the Cubs to make it to the World Series (they play at 8 tonight). Take Pepsi up on its offer today to sell Pepsi Perfect for $20.15 each.

A documentary about the storied film trilogy will be released to Netflix today.

We’ve even heard rumblings of at least one Back to the Future-inspired party taking place in Athens tonight. We’re not sure what filmmaker Robert Zemeckis would urge you to drink, but consider partaking in some “wake-up juice” from the trilogy’s final film if tomorrow morning proves rough.

Plenty has been written around the web about what Zemeckis and writer Bob Gale did and didn’t get right about what life would be like in 2015.

Some of the crazier things, like flying cars that run on trash for fuel, still look to be decades away.

One invention in the script that’s sort-of already here (at least in Athens)? Hoverboards. We’ve got the scoop on that in an article today.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

Pretty much the same as yesterday. High of 72 today. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

• OUPD is no longer offering background checks. The service is now through the Bobcat Depot. (The Post)

• University officials held a conference call with media to discuss OUSAP’s staffing. (The Post)

• The Athens city parking garage is mostly closed for construction right now. (The Post)

Scores & Game Times

A streaky performance left the men’s golf team finishing fifth at the Terrapin Invitational.

You might also want to know . . .

The Texas teenager arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school is moving to Qatar after accepting a full-ride scholarship to a foundation there. (BuzzFeed)

Meet the new prime minister of Canada. (New York Times)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Athens Bar Specials

Pawpurr’s Bar: Half-off drinks from 8-9 p.m.

The Pub: $2.50 domestic aquariums. $1.50 shot of the night

Red Brick Tavern: $1 well drinks and domestics from 6-9 p.m.

Courtside Pizza: $0.50 slices, $2 Blue Moon, $2 mixed drinks, $1.50 mixed shots from 4-9 p.m.

@SamuelHHoward

sh335311@ohio.edu