Democratic candidate Peter Kotses waves to some of his supporters in The Pigskin while waiting for election results Nov. 3. 

Local business owner Peter Kotses captures an at-large seat on Athens City Council

Peter Kotses, owner of Athens Bicycle, elected as at-large city councilman.

Local bicycle shop owner Peter Kotses wants to bring his business background and lifelong experience of growing up in the city to his at-large position on Athens City Council.

Kotses decided to run for office when he realized that none of the other candidates had the same level of business experience and familiarity with Athens. The university factor is important, but a lot of other aspects of Athens have played into his life, he said.

Kotses, who owns Athens Bicycle, also owned another store in Parkersburg, West Virginia, but closed that business earlier this year, he said. 

"As I get older, I find it’s important to have a certain level of balance for my family," Kotses said. "After we shut down the Parkersburg stop, that’s when I felt like I had enough time to pursue city council."

Bicycling was vital to Kotses' life as he grew up, he said, and that passion comes from his parents, who cycled for both transportation and recreation.

Kotses said his mother was a homemaker and his father was Harry Kotses, an emeritus professor of psychology who came to Ohio University in the '60s and decided to start a family shortly after receiving tenure. Kotses was born in July 1970 and his younger brother was born 13 months later.

“At that age you can really knock heads because you’re so close,” Kotses said.

Kotses attended East Side Elementary, the same school his 8-year-old daughter Kate now attends, and said he and his brother had a lot of freedom growing up in the '70s. They were able to walk Uptown by themselves at 8 years old and have experiences without their parents.

“There was the small town experience where there was no fear or threat of danger,” Kotses said. “But at the same time, the university gives a lot of cultural diversity. It’s a very unique environment, and it gives residents an interesting dynamic.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d19a3df4-82a7-11e5-9fa2-83da68c7d086"}}

Because Kotses’ father was a professor at OU, he attended the university for free, something he did not realize was such a great benefit until after graduation, he said.

Kotses graduated with a degree in history and said he was glad he pursued something he was interested in learning because so many college students have to consider whether their major is going to help them pay off their college debt.

Kotses met his wife, Meredith Erlewine who also attended OU, through mutual friends in Athens when she was a senior at Athens High School and he was a freshman in college. Their shared love for cycling brought them closer together. They have been married for 19 years and have more than 50 combined years of cycling experience, Kotses said.

“I like to be a commuter when it comes to biking,” Kotses said. “It’s something you do every day, and it’s a good way to get around, especially in this town. You do not have to worry about parking on a bike.”

Kotses and Erlewine started their bike shop in 1998. At Athens Bicycle, they sell bikes and bike parts, as well as repair bicycles of all makes and models, he said. Customer service is an important aspect of his business, and they spend a great deal of time educating people about bicycles, Kotses said.

Tim Kirkendall has been working at the bike shop for 13 years and has faith that his boss will be good addition to city council.

“I think he’ll do just fine,” Kirkendall said. “He definitely takes care of his employees really well, and I’m sure it will be the same with all of Athens.”

Chair of the Athens County Democrats John Haseley said that he would be a great member of city council and that he expects great things from him.

“He is somebody that has proven that he is absolutely committed to the wellbeing of our community and works hard every day to drive to make Athens City a better place,” Haseley said. 

@KyraCobbie

kc036114@ohio.edu