No candidate has filed for state representative seat, Ohio University graduate announces intent

No one has officially filed for the seat to be vacated by Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, at the end of her term in 2016.

State Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, is coming to the end of her fourth consecutive two-year term in 2016 and will not be able to run for her seat again.

But with only a month away from the deadline to file, no one has officially filed to run for Ohio's 94th district — yet.

Abe Alassaf, a graduate of Ohio University, did announce Oct. 27 he will run for the position. However, Alassaf hasn't filed with the Athens County Board of Elections yet, though he said he will "relatively soon." The deadline to file is Dec. 16.

Phillips initially won the 92nd District seat in 2008 and served two terms, but after the districts were redrawn in 2011, she won re-election for Ohio's 94th district for two subsequent terms, meeting the limit Ohio sets for house representatives.

As the only contender in the race so far, Alassaf said his reason for running is simple.

"For too long, local and state government have worked against the interest of the people," Alassaf said, quoting his news release.

Alassaf said the consequences of these actions have resulted in fewer jobs throughout the southeast Ohio region, which will be something he hopes to reverse.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b726fb34-6f6e-11e5-b9f2-2bddec288a84"}}

For the past year, Alassaf has been working full time as a regional field coordinator in conservative politics at the Leadership Institute, according to his website. Alassaf also is a member of Young Americans for Liberty, an organization started in 2008 that adheres to principles of limited government, he said.

Athens County Chair of the Republican Party Pete Couladis said there might still be a couple other contenders joining the race on both sides of the aisle but said he did not want to speak on behalf of anyone.

John Haseley, chair of the Democratic Party in Athens County, said he was unable to speak for anyone who was considering running as well.

"But we will have a very strong candidate running for that seat," Haseley said.

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu