City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in the Council Chambers in the city building on Nov. 23. 

Athens City Council recognizes exiting members, approves three-year agreement with trade union

Athens City Council recognized three exiting members last night and approved an ordinance that will adopt a three year agreement with the American Federation.

Athens City Council recognized Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl, Mayor-elect and Councilman Steve Patterson, D-At Large, and Councilman Mike Canterbury, D-At Large, for their service at its meeting Monday.

Wiehl, who will be leaving his position as mayor Jan. 1, was recognized by Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, who presented a resolution recognizing Wiehl’s time as a public servant to the Athens community.

“Mayor Wiehl’s contributions are many and will have a lasting impact on the city,” Butler said.

Wiehl said he has appreciated his eight years as mayor and will have to figure out what to with his Mondays from now on.

Patterson, who was elected mayor in November, was also recognized for his four years of service to council by Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward.

In the resolution, Fahl noted Patterson’s compassion for helping others and service on council’s disability commission.

“Although my political career has been fairly short, it has been the best four years of public service out of my 23 years serving in the U.S. military,” Patterson said. “It’s been great following in the footsteps of Paul Wiehl.”

Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, also recognized Canterbury, who will be leaving council in January, for his service.

Papai recognized Canterbury for his knowledge about the Athens community and year of service.

“It’s been a learning experience for me,” Canterbury said. “I’ve appreciated the guidance I’ve received from the other council members.”

Council also approved an ordinance up for third reading regarding the authorization of a three-year agreement with the trade union American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="65e02864-9e98-11e5-9c89-ebb735e86230"}}

“We’re in a new ballpark with the Affordable Care Act,” Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said. “We’ll just have to see how it all plays out.”

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu