Sarah Grace

Athens small business owner files to run for Ohio's 94th House District seat

Sarah Grace, an Ohio University graduate and local business owner, is the first to file for Ohio's 94th House District seat.

Sarah Grace is a small business owner, a mother of four and now a candidate for statewide public office.

Grace, who is running as a Democrat, announced Nov. 24 at the Athens County Board of Elections office her candidacy for Ohio's 94th House District seat.

In the fall, Grace began considering running for office, she said. She wanted to find a way to have a greater impact on her community.

"I thought maybe city council or school board, but then this opportunity presented itself," Grace said.

Grace said she consulted in November with current Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, and after realizing Phillips was term-limited, Grace thought more seriously about running for the seat.

"I started talking with Debbie Phillips and she encouraged me to go for it," Grace said.

Phillips was present for Grace's campaign announcement.

Grace said she also met with Ohio House Minority Leader Rep. Fred Strahorn, D-Dayton, who encouraged her to run as well, she said.

"My husband (Athens County Municipal Court Judge-elect Todd Grace) and I have four kids, and as a family, we're invested in the region," Grace said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1e3b6d8c-91f7-11e5-baa6-e72a812514b7"}}

The Graces also own two businesses: Grace Rentals, LLC and the Wizard's Guild, a comic books and collectibles stores.

To allow for greater flexibility, they are planning to sell 11 of the 20 rental units, she said.

Grace is entering the race almost a month behind Abe Alassaf, who was the first person to declare his intent to run for the position on Oct. 27.

Alassaf, an Ohio University graduate, said his campaign is going well.

"Talked to a lot of people, knocked on a lot of doors, the donations are coming in," Alassaf said.

Keeping in close communication with Athens County Republican Party Chair Pete Couladis, Alassaf said he is cautiously optimistic he will be the only Republican in the race for the 94th district seat.

Grace, however, is the second Democrat to enter the race. Eddie Smith, the OU Graduate Student Senate president, announced his intent to run as a Democratic Party candidate the day before Grace did, Nov. 23. 

Grace remains the only candidate to have filed the necessary paperwork to run for the position. The others have until Dec. 16 to file.

John Haseley, chair of the Athens County Democratic Party, said he has yet to meet with Grace, but described her as a person with good values who is surrounded by great people.

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu