A guitarist crowd surfs during a performance at The Union Bar & Grill before the establishment burned down. 

Columbus filmmaker Chris Croft brings music scene together to support The Union Bar & Grill

The show will raise money to make a documentary dedicated to the bar.

After a fire burned down The Union, several apartments and businesses, both musicians and residents, were affected.

More than a year later, many will come together to support a place they once called home.

Four local bands will perform at Casa Nueva, 4 W. State St., Saturday for a benefit show to raise money for a documentary dedicated to The Union Bar & Grill by Columbus-based filmmaker Chris Croft.

“I’ve been going to The Union since about 2005,” Croft said. “It was really special to me.”

Musician Morgan Washam, who specializes in the folk rock genre, will start the night off with a few songs off his debut album Blood Moon, which includes a song dedicated to The Union titled “Burning Bright.”

“That song is about the block there in Athens, and it’s told from the point of view of the bar telling its own story of its own burning,” Washam said. “I put that as one of the key songs on the album.”

Alongside Washam will be local rock band Hex Net, experimental rock group Weird Science and country rock band Graveyard Shift.

Graveyard Shift has not been active for four years but is reuniting to support The Union documentary.

“I’ve known those guys for about 10 years now,” Croft said. “Graveyard Shift … played at The Union all the time.”

People in attendance will also have the opportunity to be a part of the documentary if they go to the benefit show.

“In between bands we’ll have people come up on stage and tell their favorite Union story,” Croft said. “There is a chance if people want to come down and potentially make it into the movie if they have a story to tell.”

Audiences can also support the documentary by buying a CD filled with live recordings from The Union.

“We also made a 10-track live from The Union album,” Croft said. “It’s something I think will be interesting because you can’t hear those songs anywhere else.”

@kperez85

kp105814@ohio.edu