The Hungry Cat Food Truck was used as a dining hall substitute on West Green during the spring semester while Boyd Dining Hall was closed for renovation. As of Monday, October 5, 2015, the food truck will be parked near Clippinger Hall and will be operated by Ohio University Culinary Devices as a retail venue. 

Hungry Cat Food Truck has new location atop Morton Hill

After The Hungry Cat Food Truck reopened last semester near Clippinger Laboratories, it will have a new location at the top of Morton Hill starting Tuesday.

During meal time at Ohio University, hungry Bobcats will have a centrally located dining venue to choose from.

The Hungry Cat Food Truck will open at the top of Morton Hill starting Jan. 19, according to OU Spokesman Dan Pittman.  

After being used as a dining hall substitute on West Green last Spring Semester while Boyd Dining Hall was closed for renovations, The Hungry Cat opened back up for business Oct. 5 near Clippinger Laboratories.  

At this time, Pittman said it has been yet to be determined if The Hungry Cat will go back and forth between the Clippinger location and Morton.

“We learned some great lessons at the Clippinger location,” Pittman said in an email. “We were able to test some new recipes and get good customer feedback as we prepared for the eventual move to the top of Morton Hill.”

The Hungry Cat’s new location atop of Morton Hill will be visible to pedestrians as it is centrally located on campus and can be a service to those working in nearby buildings, Pittman said.

“The Hungry Cat will also run more efficiently in this location because it can use existing electric instead of running the generators,” Pittman said.

The hours of operation could be expanded as temperatures increase later in the semester, Pittman said.

“It will likely operate near Baker University Center this summer as West 82 undergoes a renovation,” Pittman said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e5cd32fa-6b81-11e5-8975-3f201c8d05ca"}}

The food truck is inspected by the Athens City-County Health Department in accordance with health and food service regulations, Pittman said. According to the Athens City-County Health Department's website, there is no inspection information available yet.

Nicole Dascenzo, a sophomore studying strategic communications, likes the new location on Morton Hill.

“It’s a little more central so more students would go there,” Dascenzo said, noting that she never used The Hungry Cat last year because she lived on South Green.

If students don’t want to go to the dining hall, "it’s a nice option to have,” Dascenzo said.

Christine Grieshop, a sophomore studying political science, went to The Hungry Cat last year because she lived on West Green and thinks the location atop of Morton Hall is better than the Clippinger Labs spot.  

“The only people who go down that hill are just people coming to Clippinger, Ping and the new dorms,” Grieshop said.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu