Courtney Barnett was one of the artists announced in the second lineup announcement for the 2016 Nelsonville Music Festival.

Nelsonville Music Festival adds Grammy-nominated Courtney Barnett to lineup

Nelsonville Music Festival adds nine more musicians to an already growing lineup for festival on June 2 through June 5.

In its second lineup announcement, the annual Nelsonville Music Festival has added nine more artists to the already star-studded lineup.

Australian singer-songwriter Courtney Barnett, who recently earned a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist, will join blues musician Gary Clark Jr. and the soulful Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats on the Nelsonville stage.

Brian Koscho, the marketing director of Stuart’s Opera House, said the new acts add diversity to the festival.

“We think they are all a great fit for the Nelsonville Music Festival and our audience,” Koscho said in an email. “It continues the tradition of having headliners at NMF that are fantastic musicians and creative performers … whether they be legendary musicians with long careers (Randy Newman) or up-and-coming performers who have garnered serious acclaim in a shorter period of time, like Courtney Barnett.”

Rateliff and his band have climbed the charts this year with the single “S.O.B.,” which peaked at No. 17 on the Billboard 200 chart in September.

Gary Clark Jr. will be co-headlining alongside film score composer and singer-songwriter Randy Newman, who was one of the first acts added to the bill in December. He joined The Tallest Man on Earth, MojoFlo and Mac DeMarco, among others.

Clark Jr. hails from Austin, Texas, and has been compared to the likes of Jimi Hendrix. He is also touring in support of his new record The Story of Sonny Boy Slim. The album hit No. 1 on the Billboard Top Blues Album chart in 2015, and the lead single, “The Healing,” was played on alternative radio stations all over the United States. He will be headlining Friday, June 3.

Barnett, who released her debut album, Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit, earlier this year, is seen as one of the biggest rising artists in indie rock today. She was nominated for Best New Artist alongside artists James Bay, Meghan Trainor, Sam Hunt and Tori Kelly. Barnett will be headlining Thursday, June 2, which is the first day of the festival.

Clark Jr., Barnett and Newman join the list of notable musicians to play Nelsonville Music Festival.

When Clayton O’Neill, a junior studying neuropsychology, found out the lineup of the Nelsonville Music Festival, he was excited to try and make the trip for the summer.

“I love Randy Newman,” he said. “His voice is just soulful, and it makes me feel happy.”

The festival will announce more artists including another headliner. With 22 artists so far, the festival is bringing musicians from all across the spectrum to perform.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="aff32b6e-a04f-11e5-8795-ef10f7ef411a"}}

“We like to think our lineup has something for everyone,” Koscho said in an email. “The hope is that people might come to NMF to see a few specific artists who are their favorites and leave with a few new favorites too.”

The music festival will take place June 2 through June 5 at Robbins Crossing at Hocking College in Nelsonville.

Weekend passes for non-Nelsonville residents are on sale now for $125. Nelsonville residents can buy passes for $65. Camping passes must be purchased separately.

Nelsonville Music Festival lineup so far:

• Gary Clark Jr.
  • Randy Newman
  • Courtney Barnett
  • The Tallest Man on Earth
  • Mac DeMarco
  • Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
  • BADBADNOTGOOD
  • Angel Olsen
  • Fruit Bats
  • Twin Peaks
  • Marco Benevento
  • Steve Poltz
  • John Moreland
  • Michael Hurley
  • Son Little
  • All Them Witches
  • The Wild Reeds
  • Michael Hurley
  • Daniel Bachman
  • Joan Shelley
  • MojoFlo
  • Jack Wright

@kperez85

kp105814@ohio.edu