Sunggyu Lee, a professor in the chemical and biomolecular engineering department, was accused of sexually harassing three students.

Ohio University engineering professor named National Academy of Inventors Fellow

Sunggyu Lee, a professor of chemical and biomedical engineering, was honored for his work with alternative energy sources.

An Ohio University professor has been selected as a fellow of the National Academy of Inventors for work on alternative energy sources and research and technology commercialization.

Sunggyu Lee, a professor of chemical and biomedical engineering, founded the Sustainable Energy and Advanced Materials Laboratory in the Russ College of Engineering and Technology and has received 35 U.S. patents and 180 international patents, according to a university news release.

“This is a tremendous honor for me, my family and my research group,” Lee said in the news release. “During my career, I have had the great pleasure and fortune of collaborating with outstanding students, dedicated scholars and many industrial collaborators and supporters, and it is my duty to extend only the deepest gratitude to these individuals for shaping me into the individual that I am today.”

His research includes topics such as alternative and transportation fuels, advanced coal technology and biofuels.

“Deeply humbled by my receiving such a high distinction, I vow to continue to put forth my greatest efforts and give the best of my life to commercialization of clean energy and advanced materials and educating America’s next generation,” Lee said in the release.

Lee was nominated by other inventors for his influence in innovation, including patents and licensing, discovery and technology, impact on society and support and enhancement.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bd24844b-6cbb-50fb-8796-cc5216637e25"}}

“Dr. Lee is one of the most prolific and persistent researchers in his field,” Russ College Dean Dennis Irwin said in the release. “In several current areas of great interest globally, such as non-conventional oil and gas extraction and alternative fuels, he has been discovering and writing for decades. He is truly a visionary in his field.”

Lee is the fifth OU professor to be named a fellow.

He will be honored April 15 at the Conference of the National Academy of Inventors at the United States Patent and Trademark Office in Alexandria, Virginia.

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu