Stan Folder, the head chef of Union Street Diner, prepares to take food out to a table. He has been there for two years and came in as a dishwasher, but after showing interest in cooking and learning from great teachers, he switched entirely to cooking. His favorite part of the job is seeing people's expressions upon receiving their food. 

Union Street Diner voted No. 1 by ‘Post’ readers

Introducing the new Post series, Restaurant of the Month, where our first winner is Union Street Diner.

Readers of The Post were polled on their favorite Athens restaurant for a series that will continue on the third Friday of every month. The No. 1 pick is the beloved 24-hour diner near The Smiling Skull Saloon.

Jay Shapiro, co-owner of what he said is an Athens local favorite with good breakfast food, purchased Union Street Diner, 70 W. Union St., in 2011.

He owns the now 17-year-old establishment along with Timothy Larman.

“The first couple of years was a struggle,” Shapiro said with his Boston accent. “I was working about 21 hours a day for about three months. So, right now we finally have it to where I want it to be, but it took definitely two or three years to get this place to where I wanted it.”

Shapiro previously owned D.P. Dough, 374 Richland Ave. and came to USD often when he finished work. Shapiro said he saw the restaurant decline in service and in quality of food and decided he wanted to buy the place and help bring it back on its feet.

Because it is open 24 hours a day, USD caters to different crowds, Shapiro said.

“The best part of the day is Sunday in the morning when you still have the Saturday drunk people coming in and then you have the churchgoers coming in at the same time,” Shapiro said.

When Shapiro first bought the restaurant, there were only five employees. He now has 38 people working at the diner.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5a3a8020-703d-11e4-87a8-97cef8cc0782"}}

Stan Folden started working at USD a couple years ago as a dishwasher and eventually learned how to cook and is now one of the managers. He said his favorite part about cooking was the artistic value in it and seeing customers’ faces when they get their food.

USD has a large menu with a variety of foods. Breakfast is served all day long, which brings more customers, Shapiro said. USD gets its food from Gordon’s Food Service as well as bread from Jackie O’s Bakeshop.

Shapiro and Folden said some of Union Street Diner’s popular dishes include the bacon chicken ranch quesadilla, the south of the border burger, the turkey club and the western omelet.

The quesadilla, sautéed on both sides, is cut into four pieces and filled with cheese, tomatoes, bacon, chicken and ranch dressing.

The south of the border burger is topped with onions, banana and bell peppers, tomatoes, salsa and pepper jack cheese.

The turkey club is a large sandwich filled with turkey, bacon, cheese, lettuce and tomato.

Finally, the popular western omelet is stuffed with ham, cheese, tomatoes, onions and peppers served with hash browns and toast.

Both Ohio University students and Athens residents come to USD. Folden said students like coming to USD because they get to have fun, be loud and listen to the jukebox while locals stop in for the good food and the convenience in location.

Jerry “JJ” Johnson, a regular customer who comes in almost every night, knows all of the employees’ names. He said the restaurant has great service and the staff is kind to him. His favorite dish is the mushroom swiss burger.

“We love you,” Folden spoke of the customers. “We appreciate your business. You guys rock.”

In the spring, Union Street Diner is considering adding more healthy options to the menu, Shapiro said. Otherwise, USD remains the same restaurant students and locals alike love.

—Keep an eye out for another poll next month where you can pick the next restaurant to be featured.

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu