​Sarah Grace, a local businesswoman and rental property owner, is running for the Democratic nomination to the 94th District seat in the Ohio House of Representatives. She has lived in Athens for 19 years. 

Local businesswoman and cancer survivor runs for Ohio House of Representatives

Sarah Grace, a mother, business owner and cancer survivor, talks about what informed her decision to run for state representative.

Sarah Grace has lived several places: Missouri, Kansas, Vermont, Florida, Michigan and even other areas of Ohio.

But after living for nearly 19 years in Athens, both as a student and full-time resident, she has never lived anywhere for as long she has lived in Southeast Ohio or, in her opinion, anywhere as great.

"I've heard that Athens gets into your blood or becomes a part of your soul, and for us that was definitely true," Grace said at a recent candidate forum. "We came back because this is where we wanted to raise our family."

Grace is running for the Ohio House of Representatives' 94th District. The primary will March 15 where she will square off against fellow Democrat Eddie Smith before potentially facing Republican Jay Edwards in November 2016.

Grace returned to Athens with her husband Todd, who is now a Athens County Municipal Court Judge, in May 2001 within two months of having their first child. After a short stint with her in-laws, the Graces purchased their first home off of Morris Avenue.

"That was when Athens really became a more permanent home," Grace said.

She added that she became a part of a group of new moms shortly after moving back that met weekly for play dates and for another important element in being a new mom — staying sane.

"It’s sometimes easy to think, 'Oh my goodness, why are they behaving this way? It’s so irrational.' Then, you meet other (moms) and you're like, 'Oh, they all do that,' " Grace said. "Strength in numbers is really good."

Grace was more than just a new mom, however, she was a cancer survivor.

"There is no way I thought I was going to have cancer when I was 24," she said.

Before returning to Athens, the Graces lived in Michigan for three years while Todd attended law school. Grace worked for a real estate development company.

"Because of the job, that’s where our housing was," Grace said. "Our housing was one of the benefits of employment. Our health insurance was through that job and all of our income."

After working at the small company for a year and half, Grace faced unemployment, homelessness and crippling debt as well as a scary diagnosis.

"That’s why paid family medical leave is, to me, such a vital protection that needs to be provided to workers. You don’t know what might happen that would require you to take a leave," she said.

At the time, Grace had to meet with her employer to discuss her options.

"It would have been very easy for my employer to be someone who just said, 'You know what, it’s not personal, it’s business. And I can’t afford to pay someone who is not doing the job. We’re a small company,' " Grace said.

Fortunately, Grace was able to rely on her health insurance and her job. The owner of the company told her she could take whatever time she needed to take care of herself, she said. Her employer also guaranteed her a position when she returned.

"No one should face losing their job, losing their home in order to take care of their health," Grace said. "If I had lost that job, I truly don’t know what we would have done. Because Todd was a law student … I couldn’t work for awhile. Chemotherapy’s really expensive. I really don’t know what we would’ve done."

After successfully completing chemotherapy, Grace, along with Todd being a recent law school graduate, the two moved back to Athens where she was confronted with another harsh reality.

"That’s when I had the experience of not being insurable," Grace said. "Even though my cancer was cured and it was gone, on my medical records, I had carcinoma. I am forever someone who had cancer."

Planned Parenthood became the place Grace could go for affordable, reliable health care because private insurance companies would not insure her, she said.

Grace is hoping to take those personal experiences as well as professional ones — she also worked for a year in the Florida House of Representatives — to fight for residents of Ohio House District 94 in Columbus as their new state representative in the fall. Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, agrees she is the one to take her seat.

"I really like the breadth of experience Sarah has. I like her demeanor, her approach to problem-solving and trying to bring folks together," Phillips said. "I just personally think Sarah has a breadth of experience that would serve her well in the position."

Phillips was present at Grace's official announcement and filing as a candidate Nov. 24.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8c955256-d8de-11e5-8cbc-d775bc13e60f"}}

John Haseley, the chair of the Athens County Democratic Party, said he is grateful for two, strong candidates to run for District 94.

"We've got a lot of people energized," Haseley said. "It does help us that the Republicans at the national level look like a bad reality TV show."

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu