Ohio Gov. John Kasich has proposed a tuition freeze for the next two school years.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich slated for fifth place in South Carolina

The latest polls show Ohio Gov. John Kasich coming in fifth in the South Carolina primaries.

Despite racking up a second place ribbon in the New Hampshire primary, GOP presidential candidate and Ohio Gov. John Kasich now may have a pretty dismal bid for the presidency. 

With the latest Fox News poll putting the buckeye conservative at dead last in Saturday’s South Carolina primary, Kasich is averaging at fifth place, according to RealClearPolitics, just above retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson by less than three points.

It’s hardly surprising that real estate mogul Donald Trump is polling in first place in the state given his history of leading the GOP in the polls and his recent win in New Hampshire.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="344c81fa-d10e-11e5-bd59-b3297e5085d2"}}

The campaign trail has become a little bloody since the GOP candidates shifted their gaze to the southern state, with campaign ads even prompting Trump to send a cease and desist to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. Despite the volleys across battle lines, Kasich has remained relatively unscathed and has continued his clean campaign run.

During the CNN Town Hall Wednesday night, Cruz said it best: “This has not been a typical race.”

On the other end of the spectrum and the other end of the country, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is expected to squeak by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders by less than three points in the Nevada caucus. Both candidates are holding a win under their belts heading into the race, with Clinton in Iowa (barely) and Sanders in New Hampshire.

Though the previous races have been tight, Saturday’s primary and caucus will be more representative of the race going forward as a whole. Iowa and New Hampshire are both states with a very large population of white voters, with Iowa coming in at about 92 percent of its population being white and New Hampshire with 94, according to 2014 census data. On the other hand, Nevada has a white population of about 76 percent (closer to the U.S. population of 77 percent) and South Carolina is even more diverse, being only 68 percent white.

@emilybohatch

eb346012@ohio.edu