Jason Pina, one of the candidates for vice president for Student Affairs, presents during the open forum Wednesday morning in the Living Learning Center on South Green. 

Ohio University announces next vice president for Student Affairs

Jason Pina was announced as Ohio University's new vice president for Student Affairs, and he will start at OU on June 13.

Ohio University's next vice president for Student Affairs will be Jason Pina, an administrator at Bridgewater State University in Massachusetts.

President Roderick McDavis announced in a university-wide email that Pina, vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management at Bridgewater State, will begin his position June 13.

“I am excited to be joining Bobcat nation and the Athens community,” Pina said in the news release. “Throughout the search process it was evident that the students, faculty and staff are among the very best in the nation and that OHIO is a special institution.”

Pina said he looks forward to serving students and collaborating with the Division of Student Affairs.

Bridgewater State had a little over 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students for fall 2015, according its website. OU had about 23,700 students enrolled at the Athens Campus for fall 2015, according to the Office of Institutional Research.

"I believe Dr. Pina will make a very effective transition into his new role," McDavis said in the release. "The vice president for Student Affairs is a key leader within the University community and instrumental in cultivating student academic and personal success."

On March 9,Pina came to OU and presented at an open forum.That was Pina’s second time applying for the position, as he previously sought the job four years ago, according to a previous Post report.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="86596e86-e617-11e5-a896-f3b3645370aa"}}

Former Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Lombardi left OU July 3 after accepting a job as vice president for Student and Campus Life at Cornell University. After Lombardi’s departure, Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones was named interim vice president for Student Affairs and July 1 was her first day in that position. Lombardi’s salary for the 2014-15 academic year was $213,262, was according to a public records request.

Lombardi said he knows Pina and thinks he will do great in the position.

“I think he’ll be able to step right in and really take it to the next level,” Lombardi said. “He’s a fitting vice president.”

Pina had reached out to him previously and asked about the position and OU, Lombardi said.

“I think he brings a real fresh perspective, a lot of innovation (and) willingness to kind of challenge the status quo,” Lombardi said.

Lombardi’s advice for Pina is to spend a lot of time with students.  

The search firm Brill-Neumann and Associates worked with an OU search committee chaired by Executive President and Provost Pam Benoit that included faculty, staff and students. OU paid the search firm $70,000 plus expenses, according to a previous Post report.

In the email, McDavis thanked Hall-Jones, Benoit and members of the search committee for their work, adding that Hall-Jones and Pina "will make a great team."

Ricardo Hall, associate vice president for Student Affairs and Dean of Students at the University of Miami, was the other finalist for the vice president for Student Affairs.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu