Bob Cooley has been the coach of Ohio's men's golf team for the past 28 years, and is only the second in the program's history.  

Men's Golf: Ohio has momentum going its way for the first time all year

A different set of golfers will be competing at the Ball State Invitational this weekend.

Ohio men’s golf is on a roll, and it doesn’t seem as if it plans on stopping anytime soon.

Peyton White finished in a tie for fifth at the Greenbrier Invitational, and Mike Engelman finished in a tie for seventh. Ohio finished in fourth place out of 17 teams.

"The kids played a really good first round, an average second round in afternoon and then bounced back this morning with a really good round," coach Bob Cooley said. 

Throughout the first half of the year, Cooley said all his team needed was to get a good streak going and good things would happen.

It seems as if his promise has come true.

Ohio will send a different set of five golfers into the Ball State Invitational this weekend, but the recent theme will continue: Play well and the dream of winning a Mid-American Championship may come true.

One emphasis for Ohio when it entered the Greenbrier Invitational was Ty Herriott. He had spring boarded his game last spring at the tournament and he did it again.

Throughout the three rounds, Herriott shot his best round of the tournament in the last round, a 1-over par, improving his score each round. On the back nine of his final round, he played even-par and birdied the last hole.

"Ty hit the ball really well," Cooley said. "He has a very good putting stroke, and he putted well (Tuesday). He's coming around."

Engelman’s play was also a subtle surprise for the Bobcats. His lowest rank on the leaderboard throughout the season until now had been 37th. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="15a55d28-d4d6-11e5-a896-07e3f4d43540"}}

He shot a 3-over par, shooting his lowest score of 1-under par in his last round.

"Michael was a big surprise," Cooley said. "It was really nice because his mom and dad were there to walk with him for 54 holes and got to see him play some of the best golf that I've seen. Michael had a great short game, a very good putter, and he just hit the ball straight and kept out of trouble."

Ohio will play 36 holes Friday at the Ball State Invitational and 18 holes Saturday. After that tournament, it will end the year at the MAC Championship on April 28.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu