Peyton White accepts his medalist honors at the Hoosier Invitational. (provided via Ohio Athletics)

Men's Golf: Ohio is zoning in on Mid-American Confernece Tournament as it heads to the Greenbrier Invitational

Ohio heads to Greenbrier Invitational on heels of Peyton White's accolades. 

The Ohio men’s golf team heads to the Greenbrier Invitational on the heels of Peyton White’s accolades of his first collegiate victory at the Hoosier Invitational last week. He was also named the Mid-American Conference Golfer of the Week.

With the surge of White’s play, the Bobcats will hope to build off of the accolades and turn them into a run to the MAC Championship.

Ohio will be participating at the Greenbrier Invitational, the same place as the PGA Tour stop, the Greenbrier Classic.

The tournament will be set up like many others, 36 holes on Monday and 18 on Tuesday, a three-round event.

“For me it’s really special to play at Greenbrier because of the PGA Tour event,” Grant Engel said. “A month after we play, we get to see the best in the game tee it up and hit the same kind of shots we did. It’s a lot of fun putting yourself in that position and playing on such a great championship course.”

Instead of its usual five starters, Ohio will be sending White, Engel, Ty Herriott, Tommy Nettles and Mike Engelman.

This is because of the Ball State Invitational later this week and players cannot miss that much school time, coach Bob Cooley said. So, a different set of golfers will go to Ball State Friday and Saturday.

Moving into this week will be important for the outcome of the season, Engel said. He has had two strong finishes in the last two tournaments and said that this could be the place that this will help get Herriott back into the swing of things.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fe614916-fcf7-11e5-be0a-af7f4582940f"}}

Engel said that Ohio is moving in the right direction and zoning in so it can peak and play its best golf of the year when MAC’s come around.

“I think we played well as a team at Greenbrier last year,” White said. “I think it kind of kick started Ty (Herriott) into the spring last year, he played well the rest of the year. Kind of hope it will springboard him again and the rest of us as well.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu