Student Trustee Sharmaine Wilcox presents during a weekly Student Senate meeting in Walter Hall on March 23. 

Student Senate's last meeting to send off old leaders and induct new ones

Student Senate will vote on a resolution supporting The Buzz app through the Bobcat Readership Program.

The semester's last Ohio University Student Senate meeting Wednesday may be an emotional one for some senate members as seniors receive “send-offs” and new executive officers are sworn in.

“(The meeting will) be exciting,” Hannah Clouser, senate treasurer and president-elect, said. “Also sad to see off the seniors, especially Gabby (Bacha) and Jared (Ohnsman) because I’ve worked so closely with them this whole year. It’ll definitely be a different dynamic next year, but different isn’t always a bad thing.”

Noah Hajivandi, senate's environmental affairs vice-commissioner, said it will be interesting to watch students share memories with the graduating seniors.

“It’ll be sad seeing a lot of the friends that I’ve made this year graduate from OU,” Hajivandi said.

Also at the meeting, the body will vote on a resolution to support the mobile application The Buzz, which, if approved, will provide students USA TODAY articles on a new platform through the Bobcat Readership Program.

“With everyone that I’ve talked to, they seem to be really receptive to the app rather than the hard copies,” Clouser, a co-sponsor of the resolution, said. “We ran a Twitter poll and 75 percent of people who participated said they would prefer the app. I think overall it's just the way of the future and it’s cool that it gets to incorporate campus publications too.”

Hajivandi said he thinks reading news on an app is more convenient.

“I think it's a pretty good idea,” he said. “I prefer having my news on an app now.”

The body will also hear presentations on the Bobcat Medal and from the Senator Emeritus Committee about who they have chosen for end-of-year honors.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d24dbfdc-05b5-11e6-baf9-2726cd6b4d27"}}

Being awarded the title of Senator Emeritus recognizes all the work a senator has done during their time on OU Student Senate and allows them voting privileges for life, Clouser said.  

Jacob Haskins, senate's residence life commissioner and chair of the Senator Emeritus Committee, said the committee received nine applications for the position and had made its decision, but the body will still have to vote to confirm the choice.

Senate will also vote on the last resolution of the year, which is to buy a $15 card swiper used to take attendance after the last one was lost, Clouser said.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu