Non-students can use Ping Center if they pay a membership fee.

Athens offers a variety of workout places on, off campus

Here's a list of ten of the best spaces to exercise on and around Ohio University’s campus.

One of the best ways to avoid packing on extra pounds during the first year of college is regular exercise, and the Athens area has an abundance of indoor workout facilities and outdoor recreation spaces available to students.

To help fend off the "freshman 15," here are the best spaces to exercise on and around Ohio University’s campus and how to participate.

Indoor Facilities 

1. Ping Center:

Ping Center is a versatile recreation space with five combined basketball and volleyball courts, two multipurpose gyms, an indoor running track, seven racquetball courts and a 36-foot, double-sided climbing wall. OU students can use the facility’s equipment or participate in group fitness classes for free with their student ID. The full group fitness schedule can be viewed on the Ohio University Division of Student Affairs Fitness website.

Free with student ID

2. Ohio University Aquatic Center:

The Aquatic Center’s Olympic-sized pool is used by OU's swimming and diving team and a few academic classes, but the center also offers lap swimming and recreational swimming several times a week.

Free with student ID

3. Athens Community Center:

If you have transportation and a little extra cash, you could take Pilates, yoga or Zumba classes at the Athens Community Center. The community center includes a track, weight room, treadmills, ellipticals, exercise bikes and two full basketball courts.

Zumba Rate: $45 (nonmember); covers two months of instruction

Yoga Rate: $60 (nonmember); covers two months of instruction

Pilates Rate: $65 (nonmember); covers two months of instruction

4. ARTS/West:

ARTS/West is known in the community for art and music classes, but activities like Zumba, yoga and belly dance are also held in this space. A donation of $30 to $39 grants you an ARTS/West membership, which includes free admission to community yoga and 50 percent discounts on admission to ARTS/West events, classes and workshops.

Individual class rates:

Zumba: $36 a month (about 8 to 9 classes)

Bando Yoga and Workout for Women & Girls: $5 a class

5. Inhale Yoga Studio:

Inhale offers group and private yoga sessions inside the Muntean Health/Athens Medical Office Building located at 400 E. State St.

Group Sessions: $10 a class, $12 if paying with credit card

Private Sessions: 30 minutes for $45; 60 minutes for $65

6. Pilates of Athens:

This program offers Pilates classes at a variety of Athens locations, including the Athens Community Center and the WellWorks facility, throughout the week.

Drop-in Pilates class rates range from $8 to $12, depending on location

7. CrossFit SEO:

The CrossFit gym, located at 762 W. Union St., offers yoga, personal training and Olympic lifting classes among other services.

Student Membership Rate: $75.99 a month

Drop-in Pass: $15

Outdoor Recreation

1. Bike Path:

Formally called the “Hockhocking Adena Bikeway,” this path winds along the bank of the Hocking River at the edge of Ohio University’s campus. It's a scenic place to walk, in-line skate or bike when the weather is nice.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="05c99982-0f05-11e6-983c-b336e9aaffa0"}}

2. Strouds Run State Park:

Swimming, boating and fishing are some of the many activities available at Strouds Run. Don’t forget to take advantage of the dozens of walking trails throughout the park, too.

3. Wayne National Forest:

This national park offers more than 300 miles of trails to hike, bike or ride on horseback and off-road vehicles. Trails are open for hiking year round, so there’s no excuse for missing out on this local outdoor recreation opportunity less than 10 miles from campus. 

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu