Students study on the fourth floor of Alden Library. Student senate has proposed changes to Alden Library including implementing gender neutral bathrooms on the fifth floor, increasing the number of available outlets and whiteboards, and extending the hours for the fourth floor.

Alden Library now houses a gender-neutral bathroom

The library now has a gender-neutral bathroom in addition to more whiteboards and new furniture.​

From a quick glance on the outside, Alden Library may look the same, but internally it saw quite a few changes this summer.

The library now has a gender-neutral bathroom in addition to more whiteboards and new furniture, according to Dean of Ohio University Libraries Scott Seaman.

Overall, the total estimated cost for summer renovations at Alden Library was more than $1.82 million, he said.

As part of the campus-wide roofing project, the library was reroofed for $1.7 million.

An express/quick check station, similar to the one on the fourth floor, was set up on the first, third, fifth, sixth and seventh floors for an estimated cost of $1,500.

“Those are the self-checkout machines that allow you to check out books without going to the circulation desk,” Seaman said in an email.

First floor

Old furniture was removed from the first floor along with the service desk and carpet as part of space repurposing. New carpet and furniture will be installed early Fall Semester. A small area near the elevator lobby will be closed while the installation takes place, Seaman said, noting it shouldn’t be too disruptive.

Slat walls, a building material used for wall coverings and displays, were also installed for new books and display cases were moved to the open area.

The estimated total cost of the first floor renovations was $50,000.

Second floor

Ten charging station lockers were installed on the second floor, and there is no charge to use the lockers.

“These are new lockers in which you can securely place up to three devices to charge,” Seaman said in an email. “The user sets the combination and then picks the devices up later.”

Also, the carpet by the elevator lobby was replaced on the second floor.

The estimated total cost of renovations for the second floor was $7,700.

Third floor

A whiteboard wall will now be included on the third floor.

New furniture was also added as part of space repurposing. The periodicals collection was consolidated and the periodicals shelving units were relocated.

The estimated total cost of the third floor renovations was $50,000.

Fourth Floor

Two new whiteboard walls were added, and the other two walls were painted, leaving them with a splash of color. Two additional booths are located around the whiteboards.

The estimated total cost of renovations for the fourth floor was $11,000.

Fifth Floor

The bathroom on the fifth floor was converted to a gender-neutral bathroom.

There was no cost for the gender-neutral bathroom because the university repurposed an existing bathroom, according to a previous Post report.

The amount of study space was also increased as file cabinets were removed and some of them were relocated to the first floor to store microfilm.

There was no cost of renovations for the fifth floor, Seaman said.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu