Quarterback Treyce Albin (3) scrambles for extra yards in R. Basil Rutter Field on August 26th 2016 MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

High School Football: Albin and Dickelman are the connection to watch for this season

Treyce Albin and Robert Dickleman were the studs of the school this week following Athens’ 41-0 route of Warren High School last Friday. 

Albin finished with over 200 total yards and four total touchdowns, throwing just three incompletion in the process. Dickelman finished with three catches for 108 yards and a touchdown.

“That’s basically what I’ve been training to do,” Albin said. “I didn’t come out here to be average and throw a 50 completion percentage. I came out to do good, that was the goal.”  

After missing the postseason last year, the Bulldogs put on a show their fans were used to. 

“It was good because people are usually accustomed to big wins like that,” Albin said. “It’s good to come back and see how appreciative the community is of big wins like that.” 

Both players acknowledged that Warren won’t be their stiffest competition this season, but their opposition wasn’t their only obstacle Friday. The Warren game was Albin’s first varsity start, and the offense’s first real game with their new quarterback. 

During the Jamboree Scrimmage a week earlier, there appeared to be some cause for concern. Albin completed just one pass in the two quarters he played, with his throws under as little control as his nerves. 

“I take a big responsibility,” Albin said. “I didn’t throw very well at all and that was because I was flustered mentally.”

Albin said he missed some play calls and hot words as well during the scrimmage because of all the surrounding factors.

He had stumbled, but Athens coach Ryan Adams still believed in his quarterback. Adams had a pregame talk with Albin that made a lasting impact. 

“He kept my perspective straight,” Albin said. “He told me that, ‘Hey, as big as it might feel, it’s still just a high school football game.’ "

Adams’ pep talk coupled with a 65-yard completion to Dickelman on the first play from scrimmage set the tone for Albin’s confidence during the game. Dickelman was just happy to have his old quarterback throwing to him again. 

Both juniors, Albin and Dickelman came up through the Bulldog ranks together. Because of Albin’s elbow surgery last year, the reunion was much anticipated.

“Last year without Treyce it really sucked,” Dickleman said. “It felt completely different. Coming into that game, it felt good to finally get back to what we were used to.”

The duo agreed that all it took was a head nod between them to realize Dickelman would be open on that first 65 yard play. The start of many big time completions between them? “Yes sir,” Albin responded immediately. 

As for a nickname, Albin and Dickelman weren’t ready to make such a brash statement after just one game. 

“We’ll win a couple more games, then we’ll worry about that,” Albin said. 

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu