The Pub

Uptown Eats: Local food trumps chain restaurants

Listen up, freshmen. Put down the Chipotle and pay attention.

Historic Uptown Athens is a gift sent from the college town gods that has blessed our campus with storefront after storefront of mouth-watering food. Court Street is literally blocks of different eateries that range from Chinese food to pizza to Mexican-style fare. So, stop wasting your time and money at chains like Chipotle and embrace what Court Street has to offer.

If you’re looking for some quality and quick Mexican-style eats, the Burrito Buggy on the corner of Court and Union Streets is the go-to. No more waiting a half an hour to get a burrito bowl — just pop on over to the buggy and pick up a burrito or taco with all the fixings for a satisfying meal.

Alright, I’ll stop picking on Chipotle now and move on to Wendy’s. Come on people, you can do better than that. A cheap meal is good every once in a while, but quality is better than quantity. If you want a reasonably priced burger, stop by The Pub Bar for perfectly prepared meat and maybe some beer cheese soup if you’re feeling adventurous.

If those options don't satisfy your poor-college-student-ballin’-on-a-budget lifestyle, then this next stop will definitely come in clutch: Peking Express currently offers a hefty meal for a small monetary sacrifice — $4.95. That’s right, for $4.95 you get four heaping scoops of Chinese food. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

If even $4.95 is too steep a price for your receding wallets, there’s a plan B. Every Wednesday night a magical deal appears in the window of Courtside Pizza: $0.50 slice night. 

Imagine having three large pieces of greasy pizza for only $1.50. I don’t know what could be better than that.

Step away from the ordinary and discover something that will rock your tastebuds in a new way. Don’t be afraid to try something new because after all, you are college students now and it’s time to start experimenting. 

rg599913@ohio.edu