via @DeanTheBasset

Pet Instagram Review: Dean the Basset's floppy ears and sad eyes will melt your heart

Sometimes it is important to take a step back and see how far we have come as a species. We’ve made cars that can drive themselves. We've sent humans to the moon, and we've eliminated killer diseases.

And we've mastered the art of recording slow-motion videos of basset hounds shaking their floppy dog bodies everywhere.

The star of this week’s Pet Instagram Review is a shining example of this feat of mankind. Dean (@deanthebasset) is a basset hound who enjoys food, traveling and sleeping. His ears are so long they almost touch the ground.

a sunny stick filled sunday!

A photo posted by Dean (@deanthebasset) on

Quality of Pictures

Dean’s feed is a good mixture of camera photos and phone photos, so you’ll see some really nice pictures of his big droopy face. Some photos show Dean posing by the water, looking dramatically off-camera. Others show him dressed up as the Easter Bunny, playing in streams and snow and wearing dog slippers.

The owner is really talented at capturing Dean at his most photogenic moments — perfectly preserving photos of his body seemingly defying gravity and laws of physics as his droopy skin flops around indiscriminately. Even better, there are slow-motion videos capturing these moments as well. You can see every flip and flop in beautiful resolution.

As if those weren’t enough, Dean can be seen on his Instagram Stories, as well.

my ears are never dehydrated! #tongeouttuesday

Rate of Posts

You’ll be seeing Dean every day, multiple times a day after following this account. The account owner seems to be very dedicated to sharing pictures of Dean to his gracious followers. He will become a regular guest on your timeline.

Cuteness of Pet

Dean is a very good-looking boy. He isn’t a very smiley dog and almost always looks tired, but that’s probably just the way his face is. His eyes are the epitome of puppy-dog eyes, and he could probably get anything he wants with those.

Rating: 5/5

This is a great dog account. I feel blessed every time I am graced by a photo of Dean on my timeline, and I am looking forward to seeing him flop around in the years to come.

@seanthomaswolfe

sw399914@ohio.edu