Ohio sophomore Elena Curley hits the ball past Northwestern freshman Puck Pentengam. Ohio lost to Northwestern 2-4 on October 25, 2015. (LAUREN BACHO | PHOTO EDITOR)

Field Hockey: Coach Macmillan moves within one win of all-time Ohio record

One more win.

That's what coach Neil Macmillan is thinking after Ohio University's 4-2 win over Saint Francis moved him within one win of the all-time program record.

"It means I've been here a long time," Macmillan said jokingly. "It's just an accumulation thing over time. I've been lucky to be here, been lucky to be successful the years that I've been here as well. That's down to all the players on the field as much as it is me. It's them getting the results. I'm honored. It's exciting as far as an individual point of view."

After junior Maria Russell found herself one on one with the Red Flash goalkeeper in the third minute, it was evident that Ohio's offense would need to put a lot of pressure on the Saint Francis backline.

Although Russell's shot was saved on that occasion, she got her revenge a minute later when she controlled a soft shot by sophomore Kendall Ballard and redirected it into the net for Ohio's first goal.

The rest of the game showed how quickly the Bobcats can turn defense into attack and how ruthless their offense can be when given clear goalscoring opportunities. A short corner near the end of the first half, in which Ohio scored its third goal, was evidence of that as Ballard collected the first pass, leaned back and smashed it into the upper corner of the net.

"We usually say that if you score three, you're going to win pretty much every game," Macmillan said. "We have to see where we are as a team, but I'm pretty encouraged."

The Bobcats' defense complimented its unwavering offense, forcing the Red Flash into many wayward passes, not allowing them to find their offensive rhythm. Even when Saint Francis did manage to put a few passes together, Ohio was right on their heels, nipping for the ball.

When the defense did break down, as it did a couple times in the second half, redshirt senior goaltender Lina Trucco was there, reaching back across goal and clearing danger off the line.

All the while, Macmillan remained relaxed on the sideline, calmly instructing his team and giving affirming claps as his team edged him toward the record.

That demeanor has led him to the cusp of having his name permanently recognized in Ohio history. His Bobcats will need to play just as well Sunday, however, if they plan on beating national power Indiana.

"It's always good to test yourself against the Big Ten," Macmillan said. "I think that'll be very good for us to see where we are against some of the better teams in the country."

@KellenBecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu