Steve Lichtenfels, Student Senate treasurer, speaks about sustainability on campus during a Student Senate Debate on March 24. (FILE)

Student Senate: First meeting to feature internal reaffirmations

After the summer off, Walter Hall 235 will once again be filled with Ohio University Student Senate members at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday.

Student Senate members will kick off their first meeting of the academic year by voting on four internal resolutions and hearing a presentation from Chief of Staff Landen Lama.

“We’re just having a general presentation for everyone new to senate just about what to expect from a meeting,” President Hannah Clouser said. “We use special terminology in our meeting(s) that people don’t always know.”

The four resolutions the body will vote on will be: appointing Hashim Pashtun the chief justice of the Judicial Panel, using Robert’s Rules of Order during meetings, setting the meeting time to every Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. and appointing members to the Budget Committee.

Senate used Robert’s Rules of Order, a form of parliamentary procedure, and met Wednesdays at 7:15 p.m. last year, but those protocols need to be reaffirmed every year, Clouser said.

“Better to have more meetings than none,” Lama said.

Last year, senate began meeting once a week, having met every two weeks during the prior academic year, Clouser said.

“We’ve been communicating a lot electronically and remotely over the summer so it will be fun ... to see everyone kinda in the same place and get us started together,” Vice President Courteney Muhl said.

In addition to the meeting, the senate members will participate in a retreat this weekend involving team building exercises and goal setting, Muhl said.

“I think a lot of what we are focusing on right now is making sure that the team is starting off on the same foot and then starting off on a good foot,” she added. “So that’s what kind of the next two weeks are about.”

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu