Bed Post: Safe sex is the best sex

The pill, the patch, the shot, the implant, the list goes on. If you type the word “birth control” in the search bar and hit enter you’re likely to come across around 20 different types of birth control. Each one has its own list of pros, cons and warnings.

At its most basic definition, birth control is any form of protection from unplanned or unwanted pregnancy. Protection is exactly what it is for many young men and women who are sexually active and want to be safe. It should be assumed then, that the physical barriers and hormone-altering medication that you are using on a regular basis shouldn’t come with so many cons and warnings.

With so many options we all need some help sorting through the endless pages of research to decide what is best for ourselves and our partners.

The most effective way to prevent pregnancy and STDs is obviously through abstinence, but it’s no secret that abstinence is more than unlikely among college students. Keep in mind though, that there are still other ways to enjoy sexual activity without spending money on pills or physical barriers.

Coitus interruptus, or pulling out, is the simplest and most risky method of birth control. It involves men playing a game of Russian Roulette with their penis, and removing it just before ejaculation. This of course provides zero protection against STDs and it runs the risk of premature ejaculation. “Outercourse,” a word used by Planned Parenthood, is another basic method that encompasses foreplay, anal sex, dry humping or other forms of sexually physical contact that doesn’t require vaginal intercourse. Again there is no STD protection with this method and it can often serve simply as a gateway to unplanned and unprotected sex.

For women there are a number of options when looking at hormone-altering medications to prevent pregnancy. The pill is now accompanied by monthly injections and long-term implants. All three of these options offer 99 percent effectiveness and have been proven to help with controlling weight, acne and other hormone-based physical conditions. The implant, which is the newest method to hit the market, can last up to 4 years and requires no daily upkeep. However, there seems to be more and more research surfacing regarding health issues, fertility concerns and negative side effects of the implant. That being said, it is always best to consult your doctor and get as much information as possible before making any decisions regarding birth control or long-term medications. Again it should be noted that these methods do not prevent STDs.

The most common methods with the largest variety of options are physical barriers used to prevent sperm from entering the vaginal canal or cervix. Among these are male and female condoms, cervical caps and diaphragms. Birth control rings, sponges or intrauterine devices are also physical methods that can be inserted into the vagina to release hormones or spermicides to prevent pregnancy. Spermicide, a substance used to prevent the mobility of sperm, is often paired with cervical caps or diaphragms and also can be used on its own. These methods share the common problems of falling out of place, needing readjustment or even losing them and the only ones that can be used to prevent STDs are condoms.

There are also emergency forms of birth control, meaning the methods are used after unprotected sex. The morning-after pill or Plan B, as it's commonly known, is available at most pharmacies. It doesn’t require a prescription or any form of doctor referral and is effective up to 120 hours following unprotected sex.

You could fill half the shelves in Alden with books containing all the research and information out there on all the different kinds of birth control, so it is vital that you do the proper investigation when it comes to your body and the body of whomever you are intimate with. It is always better to be safe than sorry, so doubling up on two forms of birth control, for example condoms and birth control pills, to protect yourself from both pregnancy and STDs is often going to be the safest route.

It’s good to get to know your body and to make decisions based on your own personal needs. If you are in a relationship consider what kind of effects each method will have on both of you and your partner and make the decision as a team. To use or not to use birth control and what kind you want to use can be life-altering decisions and should be viewed as a big step in your life or in the partnership you have with your significant other. If you protect yourself and plan ahead, your sex life can be beautiful and passionate instead of a cause for panic or worry.