Sarah Vaughn

Let's Talk Life: Mental and emotional wellness are important components of fitness

I appreciate salad as much as the next person. I mean, who would not want to eat something that tastes like sadness with a little ranch on top?

Nevertheless, as much as I have done a complete 180° to better myself, there will forever be the one thing that remains true: I will never call myself a health guru. That is not an accurate representation of me, and that would be an insult to the actual people of this world that are far more dedicated to fitness and those nasty edible greens.

However, I am someone who is in constant pursuit of happiness and living my best life.

I'd like to repeat myself. I am always in pursuit of living my best life. Not Little Jimmy's life next door but my very own. As a society, we get so obsessed with how the outside world sees us, so much so that it could single-handedly destroy a person. I know it destroyed me.

Men and women alike have starved themselves on the premise that "the magazine called me fat." Which is absolutely baffling. The power we give to ink printed on a fancy paper or words that we read through a brightly lit screen is unprecedented. It is imperative for us all to nurture ourselves as a whole and not just pick and choose the parts we "think could be better" because People Magazine's front cover said so.

Living your best life can and will mean something different to each person. However, there are some main areas I'd like everyone to give some time and nurturing to through their process.

Emotional and mental health are such a big part of you as a whole. Especially as college students, taking five to ten minutes out of your day to collect yourself could change your whole perspective. Now, we all have different ways of dealing with the stresses that are presented to us, but taking time to really think through what is causing you the most distress mentally could be the first step to improve you as a whole.

Of course, working out isn't a bad thing, but comparing your workouts to the exceptionally toned human working out next to you is. You're on your way to making your life better, and therefore need to find the workout and fitness schedule that works for you. Not straining yourself trying to keep up with the super human lifting 500 pounds like it is a Cheerios box. Everyone has a different body that responds to different techniques and movements. You don't need to be as finely chiseled as Johnny Bravo next to you. Find what works for you, then change it up every once in a while, but don't let intimidation rule you.

Finally, your smile. Now, this one may sound cheesy, but I promise it is valid. If the things you are doing and the life you are living isn't generating a huge smile that you project to the world, you need to make some changes. No one knows how to trigger your happy dance quite like you, so find that explosive power and release it all. You'll be glad you did.

No two people in this world are the same. So why do we accept society's blanket views of how humanity should be? It is time to take your stand and express yourself the best way you know how. It's time for you to live your best life.

Sarah Vaughn is a junior studying education at Ohio University. What is your favorite exercise to do at the gym? Tweet your answers to Sarah using her Twitter handle @_suraaahhh