Back to Bobcat Basics: 4 essentials to dressing stylishly in summer heat

The sound of the piercing alarm clock jolts you awake and classes are calling. You look at your phone to check the temperature, and to your horror, it is a balmy 86 degrees outside. Nothing that you own seems to be cute and keep you cool while traipsing around campus all day.

The beginning of the school year always challenges us to dress to impress while also holding on to a summer vibe to match the weather. Luckily, there are a few closet essentials that will create the perfect look for my fellow struggling fashion gurus.

The first must-have is a pair of ripped jeans. Whether you spend an arm and a leg buying them or you distress a pair yourself, they are a must. Ripped jeans can be worn rolled up to make capris and paired with trendy sandals and a basic tee or tank top. Jeans are not the most sensible option when it is still warm outside but a pair with a bunch of holes in them? Now that is fair game.

Basic tees are another wardrobe essential. Yes, they look boring, but they are just asking to be accessorized with a long necklace or a stack of bangle bracelets. The greatest part of basic tees is that you can own one in every color without breaking the bank or constantly repeating outfits. This short-sleeved option is a good alternative to crop tops because you have the chill summer style without looking like you are going to a pool party when you are really just going to calculus.

Taking the basic tee to the next level is the t-shirt dress. Retailers like H&M, Forever 21 and Old Navy have been selling these long, basic t-shirt dresses all summer, and they are still killing the game. Celebrities like Kendall Jenner and Rihanna rocked a shirt dress because it’s the look that Teen Vogue describes as “requiring no pants,” which is every college girl’s dream.

Throw on a pair of cute sandals while it’s still hot and then cover it up with a denim jacket and combat boots when the temperature starts dropping.

Ripped jeans, basic tees and t-shirt dresses are compliments to every girl’s closet and are simple to put on for that hike across campus to your next class. These looks will keep any self-respecting college girl in style as Athens’ temperature seems to keep climbing.

Rylie Brown is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information. What do you like to wear when it is hot out? Tweet her @RylieMarieBrown.