Clean laundry sits unattended in laundry dryers in Gamertsfelder Hall on Tuesday. 

Summer brings new laundry machines to campus residence halls

All 478 laundry machines were replaced in campus residence halls.

One chore that no Ohio University student can avoid is laundry, but it will be a bit different this semester.

All 223 washers and 255 dryers on OU’s campus were replaced with new machines in July, Pete Trentacoste, executive director of Housing and Residence Life, said.

The new machines are paid for by the vendor that leases the machine to the university, so OU did not pay for the replacement, Trentacoste said.

Both the machines installed this year and the older machines are owned by Caldwell and Gregory after the company won a new contract after the previous one ended in June, Trentacoste said. Caldwell and Gregory is a company that offers laundry programs for universities, apartments and businesses, according to its website.

“Typically, the washers and dryers are replaced at the beginning of a new contract,” Trentacoste said in an email. “Other than those machines that needed to be replaced, the system of washers and dryers were replaced in 2009.”

Speed Queen machines will once again be in OU residence halls, the same brand used in the past, Trentacoste said. Speed Queen is a type of laundry equipment for home use as well as commercial use including laundromats, multi-housing and on-premise use, according to its website.

Although the machines have changed, students don’t need to worry about an upcharge. The new front-load, energy-efficient machines will still cost students $1.75 to wash and $0.75 to dry a load, Trentacoste said.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu