President Roderick McDavis and Sandra Anderson listen to a presentation by the College of Business during the Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday, January 21, 2016. The Board of Trustees voted to give President McDavis a $20,000 raise and a $100,000 bonus at their June 24 meeting. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | FILE)

The news you missed from Ohio University over the summer

OU President Roderick McDavis received a $20,000 raise and a $100,000 bonus in June

When the Ohio University Board of Trustees met this summer and approved university projects and raises, it was the start of new changes to OU.

OU President Roderick McDavis received a raise, employees took on new positions and the Board of Trustees approved a new center for student-athletes.

President’s raise

OU President Roderick McDavis received a $20,000 raise and a $100,000 bonus at the June 24 Board of Trustees meeting.

Citing McDavis’ accomplishments including the implementation of Ohio’s guaranteed tuition program and the university’s master plans, Trustees unanimously approved the raise and bonus.

“There are so many accomplishments that Dr. McDavis and his team have accomplished, we could spend literally all day and all morning (listing them),” board chair David Wolfort said at the meeting.

The raise brings McDavis’ salary for the 2016-17 academic year, his final year as OU’s president, to $500,000.

He also could receive thousands more from a deferred compensation account, according to his contracts.

Board of Trustees

In addition to awarding McDavis a raise, trustees approved the $620,000 design of the Sook Academic Center, a study facility for student-athletes.

The total project cost is expected to total about $6 million. The project has received donations of about $5.66 million for the center as of February, according to a previous Post report.

Faculty Senate opposed the project in May and called on the university to abandon the project because senate members believe the center would segregate student-athletes and the rest of the student body.

Trustees said they spoke with Faculty Senate President Joe McLaughlin and decided to OK the project.

“I think it was a good discussion,” Trustee Peggy Viehweger said at the meeting. “Everybody was open minded.”

Trustees and OU administrators also discussed the College Credit Plus program and how it affects the university.

The program allows Ohio students in seventh through 12th grade to take college classes for free through their high schools.

Board members and administrators expressed concern students might not be ready to take those classes at a younger age, and they may come to the university with inadequate preparation for classes because the material could be too difficult and younger students may not understand it as well as older ones.

New faculty

Jason Pina, OU’s new vice president for Student Affairs, officially took over the position June 13.

Jenny Hall-Jones, dean of students, had been serving as interim vice president for Student Affairs for the 2015-16 academic year after Ryan Lombardi left the position for a job at Cornell University on July 3, 2015.

OU also named Mac Stricklen as its new ombudsperson starting July 6 after previous ombudsperson Judy Piercy announced her retirement after three years in the position.

“I’ve been hoping for years for an opportunity to serve in the role, so I’m very happy that is becoming a reality,” Stricklen said in a previous Post report. “I’ve also had a lot of respect for the people I’ve known who held the role before me, so it’s a privilege to get to try to follow in their footsteps.”

As ombudsperson, Stricklen will serve as a confidential resource for anyone who has an internal problem at OU, such as arranging mediation for employees who don’t get along or dealing with complaints about faculty.

Stricklen previously served as assistant director of Housing and Residence Life for West Green and a resident director and assistant director of University Judiciaries, which is now called Community Standards and Student Responsibility.

Rufus

Rufus the Bobcat spent a weekend at the Columbus Pride Festival and Parade in June.

It was the OU mascot’s first time marching in the parade.

Rufus joined Ohio State University’s Brutus Buckeye, who pulled out of the parade amid safety concerns after the Orlando shootings but then rejoined a few days before the parade.

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu