Alexis Milesky (11) attempts a shot in overtime against Highpoint in Chessa Field on August 28th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Soccer Column: Team potentially strongest of Rodgers' Ohio career

The past two years have not been the best for Ohio soccer.

11 wins in two years is not a number to be proud of.

But coach Aaron Rodgers was still new to the program and working with building his first full recruiting class.

Well, year number four is here, and though Ohio is 1-2, there are some early signs that this year has the potential to be Rodgers’ best team since he took the job in 2012.

Last year, his team had a goal scoring problem. His team didn’t score its first goal until Sept. 4 against Marshall, and through five games last season, they were outscored 13-2.

Some of the early season turmoil could be credited to the formation switch Rodgers put in place last season, but the team still couldn’t find a way to score while keeping a clean sheet.

Though the team did find some rhythm just before Mid-American Conference play, it still managed only six wins a year ago.

Now in 2016, the team has one win through three games so far, which is already a better start than last year. Add in the fact the Bobcats have already scored four goals through three games this year — half as many games as it took last year.

The team looks better out on the field, too. The defenders are communicating shifts with each other, more balls are being played up in the attack, and Ohio is making smarter passes.

If this team keeps that up, for the first time since Rodgers’ first year at Ohio, his team will be playing in the postseason.

The additions of freshman Sydney Leckie and transfer Bryce Hueber have, mostly, been the reason the Bobcats offense has taken off.

The two account for half of the team's goals this season and have done exactly what they need to: set up good balls if they don’t have a shot.

With new assistant coach Debs Brereton, her expertise with the 4-3-3 formation and occasionally switching to a 4-2-3-1 has benefited the team immensely. It doesn’t look like a foreign concept to the team.

There were times last season when Ohio looked a little confused with the new formation. Sometimes communication wasn’t as strong as it had been in the past, and from time to time, the team looked like it was slowly falling apart.

But after only graduating two players and losing two more to injuries last season, the team is used to the new formation. And it’s showing on the field.

Sunday’s game against High Point was only a loss on paper. By taking on a talented High Point team that pressured Ohio from start to finish, the Bobcats learned they can keep up with tough programs around the country.

ww773412@ohio.edu

@wynstonw_