Ohio tight end Keith Heitzman runs onto the field with his teammates before Ohio's MAC game against Miami on Oct. 10, 2015. (CARL FONTICELLA | File)

Ohio Sports news: What you missed, what it means

Summer has left most out of the loop when it comes to Ohio sports. Get caught up.

While most students were away from Athens for summer break, Bobcat athletes were sweating out on the practice field preparing for their respective seasons. Find out what happened in the Bobcat sports world while you were gone.

The football team will open its season at home Sept. 3 against Texas State. The volleyball team will host the Bobcat Invitational at the Convo to open its season Aug. 26 and 27, with Villanova, Western Kentucky and Florida Gulf Coast participating.

Here’s what you need to know about this summer to prepare for regular season:

Football

QB Conner Krizancic Withdraws From Team

Former Ohio quarterback Conner Krizancic ended his football career in June because of past concussions as well as a fear of future injuries. Krizancic was the second player to withdraw from the team this offseason because of concussions, with former cornerback Langston Provitt withdrawing in April.

Krizancic sustained a concussion during Ohio’s spring game in April, and doctors were concerned about his future health, according to Cleveland.com.

WR Sebastian Smith Named To Biletnikoff Award Watch List

Ohio wide receiver Sebastian Smith was named to college football’s Biletnikoff Award “watch list” in July.

Smith is heading into his senior season, coming off a year in which he caught seven touchdowns.

The Biletnikoff Award, named after former Florida State wide receiver Fred Biletnikoff, is given to the best receiver in college football.

Smith has a good chance of competing for the award, as the 6-foot-3 receiver will likely be a staple in the Bobcats’ offense.

Hockey

J.J. Crew Joins Coaching Staff As Graduate Assistant

The Bobcats hired J.J. Crew to their coaching staff in May as a graduate assistant. Crew played four years of Division I hockey at Western Michigan. Ohio coach Sean Hogan was the team’s assistant coach and video coordinator during the 2010-11 season, Crew’s junior season. Crew, a defensive-minded forward in college, said he can help strengthen Ohio’s defense.

2016-2017 Regular Season Schedule Released

Ohio’s regular season schedule was released in July, with the team totaling 24 home games. The full schedule can be found on ohiobobcatshockey.com

The Bobcats will play at least 40 games this season and will open with six straight home games. They will go on the road to play CSCHL rival Robert Morris on Oct. 14 and 15. The Bobcats will play each CSCHL team at home and on the road, making up just under half of the schedule.

Baseball

Outfielder Mitch Longo Drafted By Cleveland Indians

The Cleveland Indians drafted Ohio outfielder Mitch Longo in the 14th round of June’s MLB Draft. Longo is a Mayfield, Ohio, native.

Longo, the 2015 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year, had a .355 batting average and hit 12 home runs during his three-year career with the Bobcats.

Longo is the second consecutive Bobcat to be selected in the MLB Draft, as relief pitcher Logan Cozart was selected by the Colorado Rockies last year.

Women’s Soccer

2016-2017 Schedule Released, Team Added New Recruit

Ohio released its schedule in May, which includes two top 100 teams, Marshall and Butler. The Bobcats will have their first home game against the Dayton Flyers on Aug. 21.

Ohio also added new recruit Allison Miller. Miller is a 5-foot-10 defender who will likely help the Bobcats’ defense.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu