Athens High School starting quarterback Brendan Sano lobs the ball early in the first quarter. Athens High School won the game against Vinton County 63-14.

High School Football: Athens's offense was consistent Friday

Athens had a wild weekend against conference foe Vinton County.

It looked like it would be a slow start for the Bulldogs (4-1, 2-0 Tri-Valley Conference Ohio). But that idea was squandered soon after the first punt. Athens then went the next three drives scoring touchdowns.

Every pass Brendan Sano tossed seemed flawless.

The Bulldogs went five straight drives with a touchdown before a Roback fumbled ended that streak. It didn’t matter, however, as Athens already had a 35-14 lead. The lead would reach 48-14 at halftime.

The main talking point through the first five games of the season were trying to get the offense to be more consistent. Through almost every game this season, Athens’ defense bailed them out and the offense did just enough to get a win.

In the 63-14 annihilation Friday night, consistency was not a problem.

Defensively, no surprise either. Athens has faced almost all run-heavy teams this year. The defensive front was almost impossible to navigate and Vinton County just couldn’t find holes, barring two big run plays.

Where Athens is going to be tested is in the pass game. The secondary got beat several times Friday night, Vinton County quarterback, Naylan Yates just overthrew the wide outs. As long as Athens continues to shut down the run game, it should be strong in its game at Logan on Friday.

Otherwise, a couple of well placed passes could find Athens in the situation it was week two, against Canal Winchester.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu