Michael Klein pitches during Ohio University's game against Ohio State University on March 29. (FILE)

Baseball: Rott, Bourn impress as Green wins Wren Fest scrimmage 8-5

With rain teetering between a light drizzle and torrential downpour Wednesday, there was one constant –– Wren Fest 2016. 

The annual festival that included free McDonald’s, giveaways and a chance to win $500 took place Wednesday as the contest between the Ohio Green and Black squads got rolling from the get go. 

It was an offensive showcase for both squads, as 13 combined runs were scored. The last four of five runs were scored by the Green team, as sophomore first baseman Rudy Rott drove in two runs and junior outfielder Evan Bourn cleared the fences with a two run homer securing the 8-5 win. 

With the Green team as the “away” team, the offensive outburst started early. Senior infielder Ty Black notched an RBI to give them an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning. 

Players and coaches drew many positives from the scrimmage, even with the poor weather conditions. 

“As a team, I felt like we competed during every at-bat.” Black said, “Guys are very excited to play.” 

With five total runs through the first five innings, the Bobcats offense showed promise. Coach Rob Smith agreed. 

In the top of the seventh inning, Rott hit his two RBI single with a two-strike count, as did Bourn with his two-run home run. 

“We were really good in two-strike counts,” Smith said simply. 

Yet, he said there are still some things to work on. 

“(Our) bunt game needs more work, we had opportunities to bunt but failed to execute,” Smith said. 

The weather was the main culprit, however, in this high scoring affair, as players, including Black, said the wet conditions made it tough to throw the ball.

“Tonight isn’t indicative of what we’ve been doing but the conditions played a part in that,” Smith said. 

With the fall ball season winding down, the Bobcats have improved –– in more ways than just the game itself. 

“I can say right now that this is the best team feel I’ve had at my four years here now," Black said. "The chemistry is very high." 

@machewp81

mp109115@ohio.edu