Kyle Belack (16) scores a touchdown in Peden Stadium Saturday afternoon. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Football: A look at Bobcats after non-conference play

Best position group:

Andrew Gillis: Offensive Line

I thought the offensive line was going to be a concern for the Bobcats this season. I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong. This unit has played incredibly well through four games, protecting quarterback Greg Windham and opening running lanes. In 166 drop back attempts from the quarterback position over four games, the line has allowed one sack. They've also plowed running lanes for a less than ideal running back situation, as Ohio averages 215 yards per game on the ground. 

Cameron Fields: Safeties

Ohio’s running backs were the best position group on the team heading into the season, but because of recent injuries, the team’s best position is being stretched thin. 

Though the Bobcats have few available running backs — they had to use free safety Bo Hardy against Gardner-Webb on Saturday — their safeties have done a solid job on defense. 

With strong safety Toran Davis leading the group, the safeties have tackled well — Davis is No. 3 on the team in tackling with 29, and free safety Javon Hagan is No. 5 on the team with 15.

Charlie Hatch: Wide Receivers

Considering the Ohio running back depth has essentially been wipe out, that's added more pressure on the wide receivers to make up for lost ground. And they've done so. Ohio had 11 players make receptions this past Saturday against Gardner-Webb. 

In the first two games of the season, Greg Windham connected with nine receivers. 

That amount of diversity in throwing options means less reliance on single targets. But even with Sebastian Smith is thrown to, he's quickly become arguably the best receiver in the Mid-American Conference. 

Early-season MVP: 

AG: Quentin Poling

Poling is quite simply the biggest difference-maker Ohio has. He leads the team in tackles with 36, the defense is simply not the same with him out of the lineup. Last season, the Bobcats gave up 49, 41, and 62 points with Poling out of the lineup. He's remained healthy this season, and for the Bobcats to contend in the MAC, he'll have to stay healthy.

CF: Sebastian Smith

Ohio has play-makers on both sides of the ball, with Poling and defensive end Tarell Basham being key players on defense. 

But no one has influenced the team quite like wide receiver Sebastian Smith has. 

Smith is a game changer for the team’s offense, as he gives that side of the ball play-making ability it wouldn’t have in his absence. 

Though Smith saw limited time during the first two games of the season because of an injury, he showed out in Ohio’s last two non-conference games, posting 264 receiving yards and two touchdowns. 

CH: Bo Hardy

Bo knows all sides of the ball. This past week, he started at safety and then, by default, became Ohio's running back. Oh, and he's a gunner on special teams. 

After just switching to defense this season, he's getting switched back to offense. He'll probably get the majority of the carries at Miami and on defense he's in the most fragile position. 

Biggest surprise:

AG: The play of Greg Windham

Windham looked sharp in spring practice, but I had no idea he'd be this sharp. Windham is 84-152 this season throwing the ball with seven touchdowns. He's only thrown one interception, and has looked sharp running the ball too. He's the team's leading rusher as well, with 288 yards rushing on 43 attempts. Windham has looked like a leader in the early goings.

CF: Cornerback play

The cornerback position was one filled with uncertainty for Ohio before the season. The position lacked experience, and players such as Mayne Williams and Randy Stites — who used to play wide receiver for Ohio — were expected to learn on the job. 

And Williams and Stites have done just that, too. Both players have one interception on the season, along with free safety Kylan Nelson picking up two interceptions. 

Ohio is tied for second in the Mid-American Conference for interceptions, tallying four to start the season. 

The cornerbacks are still a developing group, but as the season goes on, expect them to continue to surprise in the defense’s backfield.

CH: Running Back

Frank Solich called it an oddity; it's probably just bad luck. But somehow Ohio's running back depth has gone from the best in the conference to virtually nonexistent. 

The current status is so bleak that Hardy has to return? That's something impossible to predict before the first snap this season. 

Grade: 

AG: C+

Ohio has been solid, but not great this season. A loss to Texas State in week one really put a damper on things, but strong performances in weeks two and four have the team now looking up. Redzone offense killed the team in weeks one and three, however, and with those missed opportunities, the Bobcats sit at .500. If Ohio was opportunistic, maybe we'd be talking about a 4-0 team right now.

CF: C

Ohio hasn’t played poorly, but it also hasn’t looked like the best team in the MAC. As the Bobcats head into conference play, whether they can get back some of their running backs will be a factor.

The team’s depth at running back allows them to use various formations in the backfield — the team still has multiple formations, but its offensive versatility is dwindling.

Smith is still the team’s best player on offense, however, so expect him to continue to provide on that side of the ball.

The defense is above average in that it can make the big play, whether it can be an interception or sack, but tackling is something it can still work on.

Ohio is on pace to have another bowl-eligible season, but it will need to see more improvements in order to win a MAC championship. 

CH: C+ 

If the running backs were healthier the grade would be higher. But they're not, and until they are, Ohio won't have the offensive production it expected at the beginning of the season.

Barring that, 2-2 seems a little harsh.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu