APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Crimes of the Month: Local police report string of eight vehicle thefts, counterfeit cash

Correction appended. 

Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous is offering rewards for information related to a series of vehicle thefts, reports of counterfeit cash and more.

Both the Athens Police Department and the Nelsonville Police Department have received multiple reports of stolen vehicles, according to the release. Many of the vehicles had the keys left inside or had damaged ignition switches.

The release listed eight allegedly stolen cars:

• June 20: 2007 light green Toyota Corolla and a 2001 dark green Dodge Durango stolen near Blair Court in Nelsonville
  • July 28: 1998 red Jeep Cherokee stolen from the area of Rocky Shoes and Boots parking lot, 39 E. Canal St., Nelsonville
  • Aug. 3: 1997 maroon Nissan Sentra stolen near E. Carpenter St. in Athens
  • Aug. 4: 1994 dark green Toyota Camry stolen near East Canal Street in Nelsonville.
  • Aug. 12: 2001 gray Honda Civic stolen near Athens Gardens Apartments, 300 W. State St., Athens
  • Aug. 12: 2004 gray Toyota Corolla stolen near Mill Street in Athens
  • Aug. 13: 2002 blue Jeep Wrangler stolen near Carriage Hill Apartments, 115 Carriage Hill Dr., Athens

APD also fielded reports that several Athens businesses received counterfeit $100 bills around the time of July 26, according to the release. One witness described the suspect as a black male with a distinctive accent.

Additionally, the NPD received a report that a black male purchased food at a Burger King drive-through with a counterfeit $50 bill, according to the release. The release states that it isn't clear whether that incident is related to the incidents in Athens.

APD is seeking information related to three alleged instances of breaking and entering on Aug. 10.

The department received reports that someone broke into Rue 21 at 743 E. State St., Marasco Family Chiropractic at 1013 ½ E. State St. and El Camino at 1017 E. State St.

APD is also seeking information about two burglaries alleged to have occurred at about 4 a.m. on July 11, according to the release. A large-framed black male allegedly entered Broney’s Alumni Grill, 7 W. Carpenter St. and Red Brick Tavern, 14 N. Court St. by force and stole various items.

The Athens County Sheriff's Office is seeking information related to an alleged burglary in Guysville, according to the release. The Sheriff's Office received a report that someone broke into a garage on Bean Cemetery Road and stole "a large amount of tools" around May 31, according to the release. Witnesses reported hearing a loud truck leaving the area early in the morning, according to the release.

The release advised anyone with information to call (740) 594-3311.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this article's headline incorrectly stated the number of stolen cars. There were eight stolen cars. The article has been updated to show the most accurate information.