Two-year-old "Essence of Athens" plan has seen slow progress

In the two years since the city released the Essence of Athens public art plan, city officials say progress has been slow in initiating new projects — but they said that might not be a bad thing.

The plan, released in 2014, is a 162-page document outlining possible public art projects for the city or private entities. City Planner Paul Logue spent one year and $2,500 worth of taxpayer money putting the document together. The aim of the plan is to ensure the city maintains its "history, culture, art, and soul," according to the plan.

But despite his efforts, Logue said the city doesn't have the money in its budget to fund all of the projects at once.

"If we came out next year and said, 'Ok we're going to spend $5 million on public art,' immediately people are going to say 'What about the potholes on my street?' " he said.

Former Athens Mayor, Paul Wiehl, was in office when the plan was introduced, but the current mayor, Steve Patterson, said the plan is still relevant in his administration and progress has been made.

“There is more to be unveiled," he said. "It has not been forgotten and put on the shelf.”

Logue asserted that progress was meant to be gradual, adding that much of the progress of the plan relies on the people of Athens more than it relies on city projects. He said he hopes the city’s efforts will inspire private residents to follow suit with public art and unique expression.

“I think it has to be slow,” Logue said. "I think because it's artistic in nature it's going to be in flux. ... We want to just get the conversation started and do a few projects to move that forward.”

Some of those recommended projects included street lamps shaped like "Passion Flowers," the city's official flower, and brightly-painted crosswalks.

Many of the city’s projects related to the plan are implemented by ARTS/West, an organization that promotes art in the city, which is a part of the city’s Arts, Parks and Recreation department.

Chelsa Peterson, the program specialist for ARTS/West, voiced her support for The Essence of Athens.

“We have an Arts Commission that is a firm believer in the Essence of Athens,” Peterson said.

Peterson also referred to several projects related to the plan that the Athens Municipal Arts Commission, which is hosted by ARTS/West, has undertaken. Those include putting art-covered boxes around traffic-control switches uptown and stenciling sidewalks around the new Union Street Roundabout.

The stenciling cost the city $1,445, and the art-covered boxes cost $5,000, according to Laura Kreider, deputy auditor for the city of Athens.

Logue said the plan aims to prevent the city from falling victim to large corporations that have similar designs and layouts for all their buildings.

“If we don't take steps to reinforce who we are, those type of entities are going to establish who we are for us,” he said.

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu