Duff at the premiere of her new show, Younger, in 2015

Why Hilary Duff should come for OU's TBT concert

Growing up, most people looked up to a celebrity with fondness and admiration. For me, that person was Hilary Duff.

Duff turns 29 today, and despite an age gap of nine years, I feel as if I grew up with her. I followed her career every step of the way, from Disney Channel to movies to music and back to TV.

If anyone was to ask my immediate family what my favorite TV show was growing up, they would simply answer with Lizzie McGuire. Lizzie was relatable and down-to-earth. She battled through problems at school and taught people how to deal with their crushes, enemies, bullies and best friends. She made it seem OK to listen to the little voice in your head — which is coincidentally the premise of a song off her Metamorphosis CD. And who can forget The Lizzie McGuire Movie? That movie is the reason I want to go to Rome, throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain and fall in love with a pop star — hey, it could happen. The movie, which I personally own on VHS, was a bittersweet ending to an incredible show.

Via giphy.com

Before Duff starred on Disney Channel, she played Wendy in Casper Meets Wendy. She was only 8 years old when she portrayed the character. During her Lizzie McGuire years, she was also in Cadet Kelly, one of the best Disney Channel Original Movies.

Via giphy.com

Her first role after Lizzie McGuire was in the magical, fairy tale-like movie, A Cinderella Story. I can quote pretty much every line in the entire movie from start to finish — this is not an exaggeration, just ask my parents whom I make watch the movie every time it’s on the Lifetime Network. Even though I was only in elementary school when the movie came out, I wanted my fairy tale dreams to come true — and when I got older, a kiss from Chad Michael Murray.

Via giphy.com

A Cinderella Story was only the beginning of her post-Disney career. She played Terri Fletcher in a music-centered movie Raise Your Voice. In the film, she sang “Someone’s Watching Over Me,” a song on her self-titled album. Duff was also in the movie The Perfect Man with the beautiful and talented Heather Locklear, as well as the nerdy, but handsome, Ben Feldman. If anyone reading is doubting my love for Hilary Duff, here is a tidbit of information for you: Every major haircut I got was based on a hairstyle from one of her movies. I got sweeping bangs after I saw The Perfect Man for the first time, and bangs from her role in A Cinderella Story. If you still don’t believe me, here is photographic evidence:

After starring in the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen, Duff only played small roles in TV movies. She put out a couple more albums after the smaller parts, but in the end, she took time for herself. Even though she was not on TV as much, I still listened to her CDs frequently, and every time Lizzie McGuire reruns were on TV, I was watching.

What is admirable about Duff is she never had a public mental breakdown like so many of her fellow Disney stars. When she had her son, Luca, she was able to raise him and reinvent herself for another chance on TV and in music. The year of 2015 was an exciting time for Duff's fans. She released a new album, Breathe In. Breathe Out., and started a leading character role in TV Land's Younger. When I found out Duff was going to be on a new TV show, I sat aside time to watch. Younger should be at the top of everyone’s binge-list.

Via giphy.com

Every spring at Ohio University, the University Program Council and Black Student Cultural Programming Board puts on a TBT — Throwback Thursday — concert, and I think Duff would be a perfect candidate. She can carve out a night of her busy schedule to perform her hits, such as “Why Not,” “Come Clean” and “Wake Up.” If my dream of Duff stepping onto a stage in Athens comes true, you can bet I will be sitting in the front row.

Via giphy.com

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu